I see that you don't want to expand the size to 4 pages, but aren't there some other possibilities? For example a hidden object stored in arc, undeletable by the user because you've given it a hexcode not being recognized by the calculator as being a valid data type? You could use that for storing routines that don't necessarily need to be run fast, like my menuroutine, so it'd be sufficient to fetch them from memory first, or will the calc crash when he notices that some unknown filetypes have been created?
The thing is, there is no way to store the data you would need for your routine _anywhere_ in Doors CS. If you really wanted it to feel like a part of Doors, you could write an SE for it, or (and I think this is what they are for) an ALE.
What you're describing, an external library, is indeed a feature already in Doors CS, called an Appended Library Extension or ALE. I strongly, strongly recommend that you make it into a real ALE, because I don't know of any real ones out there except for the few that I've put together as academic exercises:

Oddly enough, it looks like the Doors CS wiki doesn't have a page about ALEs, but I describe how to create them in the Doors CS SDK PDF:

www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/341/34192.html
I got a idea how to make it with backgrounds (in my opinion) more awesome:
With some images it is very bad that it just inverts the screen.
My idea is that the black parts are drawn gray and then the icons and text is drawn over it.

And I got another idea to make gCn more awesome:
Make it somehow that you don't have to say via what hub you want to connect, so that it works that you start that gCn thing on your pc and then, without changing something on the pc, change e.g. from chat to gossamer and back.

Hope you get what I mean Smile
A folder RClick menu all it’s own, because Garrett is convinced you can actually edit a folder.
Dapianokid wrote:
A folder RClick menu all it’s own, because Garrett is convinced you can actually edit a folder.
I don't even know what to say to that. Can you please get Garrett on here so I can talk to him firsthand? I want to mock the ridiculous things he says and reinforce the things he says that are actually intuitive - folders are in fact a special hidden type of program, and if you could trick Doors CS into editing them, you would be able to change the folder name by changing the contents of that program. However, there's no reason for you to do that, and lots you could mess up.
This is the final destination of this suggestion.

I have a suggestion to make!

I think that when you click the delete button on Doors that it should ask, "Are you sure?"

My reasoning is, "What if you accidentally click delete?"

This is just a suggestion though.
I think it's a good suggestion, but in the past I haven't found it necessary, as it's fairly hard to accidentally press the Delete option. Did you click it by accident?
No but when I was deleting something on purpose, I noticed that it didn't show the message. I just wanted to suggest it.
Spenceboy98 wrote:
No but when I was deleting something on purpose, I noticed that it didn't show the message. I just wanted to suggest it.
And it is indeed something I've considered before. Smile My main reason for not adding it, to be honest, is that I don't have much space left inside Doors CS for new features, especially since I still have a bunch of bugs to solve for Doors CS 7.2 (minor, minor bugs, to be fair).
Why won't you go to four pages? The calculators have anyway a hole lot of memory, so that wouldn't bother me.
Sorunome wrote:
Why won't you go to four pages? The calculators have anyway a hole lot of memory, so that wouldn't bother me.
Have you seen all the borderline aggressive and downright insulting comments people have posted about it being three pages, implying that I'm a bad or inefficient coder and that Doors CS is a bloated mess? I am very, very resistant to exposing myself to further uneducated insults and ridicule by expanding to a fourth page.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see them. maybe some data could be stored in extra appvariables and then people can decide which option they want to add to doors and which won they don't want to.
Sorunome wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see them. maybe some data could be stored in extra appvariables and then people can decide which option they want to add to doors and which won they don't want to.
Aye, those sorts of extensibility modules have indeed also been suggested, but again there's the problem of finding the space to describe a rich enough interface for such modules, not to mention getting people (or myself) to write enough modules to make it worthwhile. See also MirageOS, which has almost no external interfaces for it despite all the time it must have taken to modularize and expose their program-running, program-listing, program-sorting routines.
Shell Expansions aren't capable of handling that on their own?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Shell Expansions aren't capable of handling that on their own?
No. Shell Expansion can do exactly three things:

1) Interrupt the "startup" sequence to do something special
2) Run in the background during the desktop mouse to do something special (USB device support, extra meter on the taskbar, etc)
3) Interrupt the "close" sequence to do something special
Ah got it.

My reason for revisiting this thread is a suggestion. I know it's kind of a moot post since any addition would require a fourth page or the sacrifice of a feature or few. But, here goes. If there isn't already can there be a DCSB that allows DCS to read Program groups as "programs?" Wherein, programmers can use Pic0, Str9 and such without having to worry if they've been archived/used or going to be written over. DCS could store the state of those variables, unpack the group and run the program with it's dependent variables then group them back together upon quitting the program.

I understand the process of doing so may be corruptive (in-proper quitting) but I reckon it could be useful.
On the next version of DCS, you should be able to copy and paste multiple files/folders at the same time. It would make my life a lot easier. Once, my calculator reset and all of my files(including archived) were out of their folders, and I had to put them all back where they were before(I have a lot of programs).
Is it possible to make an DCS7 light version to 83+ ?
I mean a version in one flash page only. :/
Spenceboy98 wrote:
On the next version of DCS, you should be able to copy and paste multiple files/folders at the same time. It would make my life a lot easier. Once, my calculator reset and all of my files(including archived) were out of their folders, and I had to put them all back where they were before(I have a lot of programs).
Actually, DrDnar is (and has been) working on just such a tool, and luckily, he said that he is going to pick it up again now, since he set it aside for a while.

Kinder: I could maybe do two pages, as has been discussed in this and other topics before, but I don't really want to. I think that a one-page version would be nearly impossible.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 36 of 43
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours