Hot_Dog wrote:

Inspired by AfterDark screensavers and Solitare "Vegas" style

The screensaver is about a hot-tempered and frustrated truck driver trying to make a living. He has 30 days to earn -- or lose -- money. Every time the screensaver runs, random events happen which cause you to get or lose money. After 30 days, one of four "game over / you win" screens shows. Then the screensaver hits the "reset button" and you get a new 30-day story

Additional features that will definitely be included (since I've got all the tools I need)
----------------------------------------------
* More background scenery (Bridges, walls, colorful houses, etc.)
* Four types of deliveries -- Fast food, technology, gems and toys
* Factories will have different colors
* Actual acceleration and deceleration of the truck
* Truck will stop at paint shops for new colors
* Animals -- and the driver gets angry
* Car-crashes -- and the driver gets angry
* Traffic lights and intersections
* Speeding tickets and litter fines -- and the driver gets angry when caught by the police
* Day and night cycles
* Crime of stashing goods, with either good or bad results

Features that will be included if time permits:
-----------------------------------------------
* Rain and snow
* Running out of gas
* Freeways
* Flat tires

Quick question: What language are you using?
[quote="ryanconmartians"]
Hot_Dog wrote:

This is really good and you should work on it after CC26, this could become a really popular program!
You guys have really good programs, I don't think I can compare but who knows--anyone could win!

Quick question: What language are you using?

Thanks! Not sure how much I may work on this afterwards, but it's certainly been fun to do for the competition

I'm using assembly language
I like the new additions! Smile
Look very nice!

Regarding the money, it goes from $2000 to $4500 after the delivery of +$1500?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Look very nice!

Regarding the money, it goes from $2000 to $4500 after the delivery of +$1500?

Good catch. I have a feeling that's because it was an early development screenshot, but I'm definitely going to check all the prices before release. It's hard to double check the prices in debug mode at the moment
Finished product! The eye candy below is screenshots I took for the purpose of archive screenshots

Fixed some more strange issues (Cops stuttering, cops pulling the guy over even though he legally went at full speed on the freeway, truck losing its color in scene changes, etc.)

Really impressive! It's so expansive, and you even managed it in ASM. Shock Good Idea Good Idea
jAlisa wrote:
Really impressive! It's so expansive, and you even managed it in ASM. Shock Good Idea Good Idea

Thanks! Yes, for lower-level systems like this, ASM really is a lot of fun for me personally -- after I got the hang of it Very Happy Very Happy
Well, since everyone else has been making their source available, I'll make mine available too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wRieoRh7-JedWJpiTpZ53WPm2S_jRafs/view?usp=sharing

The graphics and "almost all" of the source code is not copyrighted, you can use it, copy it, modify it for any purposes. Be aware:

1. I modified Iambien's 83+ pucrunch code so that I could use it for the 84+CE. I've credited him, and if you use his code, you should too.
2. ChickenDude made a really nice tilemapper for the 83+. I used his code as a guide for creating an 84+CE tilemapper. I've credited him, and if you use his code, you should too.
Nice job on your entry! I actually watched through the whole thing, and I loved the background variation. However, I encountered a very odd behavior when exiting the program. It works just fine when running through the OS, but in shells it's a whole different story. In CEaShell, it immediately crashes, and in Cesium, it exits to a corrupted homescreen context without showing Cesium at all. Running it with arTIfiCE and ASMHOOK crashes on exit as well. After looking through the code, I noticed this:

Code:
ld de, $07057B
pop hl
push de
ei
ret

Is there a reason you force the return address instead of just letting it return naturally? There shouldn't really be a reason that this would be necessary, and it can cause a lot of issues with execution, and for newer OS versions where a shell is necessary to run any assembly programs, this is a big problem. Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to fix, but I'm curious as to why you do this in the first place.
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Nice job on your entry! I actually watched through the whole thing, and I loved the background variation. However, I encountered a very odd behavior when exiting the program. It works just fine when running through the OS, but in shells it's a whole different story. In CEaShell, it immediately crashes, and in Cesium, it exits to a corrupted homescreen context without showing Cesium at all. Running it with arTIfiCE and ASMHOOK crashes on exit as well. After looking through the code, I noticed this:

Code:
ld de, $07057B
pop hl
push de
ei
ret

Is there a reason you force the return address instead of just letting it return naturally? There shouldn't really be a reason that this would be necessary, and it can cause a lot of issues with execution, and for newer OS versions where a shell is necessary to run any assembly programs, this is a big problem. Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to fix, but I'm curious as to why you do this in the first place.

Thanks! I'll fix that
This is fun, but I don't think I have the patience to watch it go all the way through 30 days in one sitting. It would be nice if it could save the state so if you exit and restart you'll pick up on the same day as you left off on.

There's a fun amount of variety, and I particularly enjoy the angry head that gets put on the truck when something bad happens- it reminds me a little bit of a Thomas the Tank Engine sort of face.

When there's a divided highway, I found it weird that the other side of the highway was added to the left of the truck, but normally the truck is on the left side of the road with relation to oncoming traffic. I guess this is just a concession to fitting everything onscreen without too much complexity, but it annoyed me a little.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours