Would you use Glacier if I ever finish it?
Yes
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
 50%  [ 1 ]
Maybe
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

Recently, I started trying to make a game called Trader (which I may or may not finish) on the CE. Usually I create most of my programs with Node.js, so trying to wrap my head around the much more limited ICE is about as hard as learning how to code from scratch. So to help myself learn a bit more about ICE, I decided to create a transpiler, to convert a JavaScript-like language to ICE. The planned features are:
    ▪ Full on Arrays(that support strings),
    ▪ Functions,
    ▪ Multipurpose variables,
    ▪ Packages,
    ▪ Greater control over the calculator than TI-Basic,
    ▪ Tilemaps,
    ▪ Objects,
    ▪ and possibly more.

The project is meant to be an alternative to ICE, and was inspired by ICE in the first place
Glacier is a work in progress, so don't expect much from it right now. I'll probably be done by February (No promises though). Expect updates to this thread after every major milestone.

Repo: https://www.github.com/DarkSystemGit/Glacier/
Edits:
▪ 3 Jan:
I forgot to update this, but now Glacier is no longer a transplier, now it's a fully fledged compiler, because I forgot to look at ICE's archive message(conveniently).
So the plan for now is to generate an AST (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_syntax_tree) and feed it to the C toolchain back-end, to generate ez80 assembly, then let the toolchain do the rest of the work.
This sounds really cool! I look forward to getting to test it out.
Why not just use C?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Why not just use C?

Ummmmmmmmmm, pointers and stuff? JS is a language that is more beginner friendly, so Glacier tries to replicate that.
So recently, I have decided to completely pivot, and due to ICE's deprecation. Now it's based on LLVM. So, if anyone wants to help, creating test programs would be the best. The current one isn't all that good, and I'm running out of ideas for test programs. Thanks!
The GitHub says it's for the TI-83/84 Plus. Is that an error or will it really not work on the CE?
Sorry for the late reply, I had forgotten to write CE there. But, due to it's now compiled nature, it's CE only, because the older models are too weak for non-asm programs to run upon them, and Glacier's backend is the same as the CE C toolchain, which only supports CEs.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours