Hey, I wanted to appeal to all the other people out there who are a lot smarter than me to ask a couple questions. I've had this idea bouncing around in my mind for a while now, and I wanted to check and see if it is even possible. Can you get two TI 84 Plus CE calculators to communicate through a wifi arduino module with, idk, a raspberry pi in the middle? Sorta like text messaging or something. Would that even work, and if so, how one I go about trying to make it do so? I'm pretty much a complete nube in the world of serial ports and compiling code on calculators, so please excuse my ignorance. Wink
Thats a cool idea. I'm not an expert either in that world but there are some similar programs already out there. TINET I believe is for the ti 84 ce.
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19184&start=0

and Calcnet is for the monochrome ti 84
https://www.cemetech.net/projects/item.php?id=33
Thanks for the info! I knew about TINET, and was trying it out just the other day, but I feel like it's still centered around being attached to the computer. I think it would be super cool if you could have some sort of lightweight program that could talk to another calc or multiple over a small server. You're right though, it's the same basic idea. I'll ask around on TINET's discord to see how they're doing it. Thanks for the help!
It sounds like you're looking for something more akin to CALCnet 2, i.e., peered calculator-to-calculator networking. It's not possible to directly port CALCnet to the TI-84 Plus CE, because the USB port cannot be bitbanged like the older calculators' I/O (2.5mm DBUS) port can, but there may be creative solutions available, including just using a USB WiFi adapter with the calculator, and writing a driver.
If you want calc-to-calc (direct), then you can use the usb or serial libraries to set up a link. One device is in host mode, the other device mode. Cut out the middle-man.

If you want actual networking, your two main options are bridged networking and IP over USB. There is no implementation for the latter yet so for now you're left with the former. That bridge can run on an arduino, a compute module, a Rpi, or your own computer but that doesn't change the fact that its still bridged (ie, serial interface bridged to TCP). You can use TINET for this. I'm also about to release something myself that may help but it's still in beta and needs testing.
StupidLife wrote:
Thanks for the info! I knew about TINET, and was trying it out just the other day, but I feel like it's still centered around being attached to the computer. I think it would be super cool if you could have some sort of lightweight program that could talk to another calc or multiple over a small server. You're right though, it's the same basic idea. I'll ask around on TINET's discord to see how they're doing it. Thanks for the help!

Actually the plan is to put a board in the calc.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours