EDIT: SOLVED
see last post

As the title says, my TI Nspire CX II CAS (what a mouthful) only turns on at all when plugged in to USB power. When plugged in, it shows the startup screen and starts to load the home screen, then immediately goes to black and repeats, as if the reset button was pressed. This happens regardless of whether the battery is in the calculator or not. The reset button is not stuck down, and pressing it does nothing.

Video:
https://imgur.com/a/yVEz3GB
Quote:
only turns on at all when plugged in to USB power

That sounds like a battery issue. With my experience in repairing school Chromebooks, the Chromebook with a dead battery sometimes claims that it is fully charged upon connecting to a charger, but immediately shuts off upon removing the charger.
I recommend replacing your battery for a new one. That probably would fix that.

For your other problem, here is a list of steps I would advise you to take before replacing your calculator.
1. Follow this guide by TI.

2. When you reinstall the OS, use n-link to install an OS earlier than 6.0.
You can find the OS version of your choice on TI-Planet. 5.3 is what I recommend to use.
Note: You won't be able to downgrade from your current OS version.

3. If all else fails, contact TI-Cares™.
I had this problem when I bricked my nspire when I first got it. Resetting it did nothing and same with deleting all the memory using the maintenance menu. Then I took out the rechargeable battery and put it back in, and it got out of the loop. You may have already done this though. I had a similar problem with another nspire that I got recently, where it wouldn't turn on unless it's plugged in. Once again I was able to fix it by taking out the battery.
Thanks for the suggestions.
clevor wrote:
the Chromebook with a dead battery sometimes claims that it is fully charged upon connecting to a charger, but immediately shuts off upon removing the charger.
I recommend replacing your battery for a new one.

The calculator never gets to show what battery it thinks it's at, it just gets to loading the OS then restarts, so I can't see anything. I did measure the voltage of the battery itself and it seems to be dead, but the calculator still works (bootloops) when plugged in with the battery removed.

clevor wrote:
2. When you reinstall the OS, use n-link to install an OS earlier than 6.0.

I would try to do this, but the calculator never loads enough to be detected by my PC

Calculatordream wrote:
Then I took out the rechargeable battery and put it back in, and it got out of the loop

I tried this, but it resumes the loop when I put the battery back in.
Update: I got it working!

I'm not sure what exactly what I did that finally allowed it to stay on the install OS screen long enough. When I went to troubleshoot it again today, it decided to recognize the battery again and load the OS install screen.

Here's the steps I took in case it helps anyone else

1. I entered maintenance mode by holding [doc] [enter] and [EE] while the calculator reset (you may have to press the reset button)
2. I formatted the memory and deleted the OS
3. I entered a developer menu by pressing [9] while in maintenance mode, and played around with all the options there, especially the diagnostics and the OS loader options.
nice! speaking from experience, its such a relief to get it working.
Legoman314 wrote:
Update: I got it working!

I'm not sure what exactly what I did that finally allowed it to stay on the install OS screen long enough. When I went to troubleshoot it again today, it decided to recognize the battery again and load the OS install screen.

Here's the steps I took in case it helps anyone else

1. I entered maintenance mode by holding [doc] [enter] and [EE] while the calculator reset (you may have to press the reset button)
2. I formatted the memory and deleted the OS
3. I entered a developer menu by pressing [9] while in maintenance mode, and played around with all the options there, especially the diagnostics and the OS loader options.

I'm also having the same problem, could you explain what exactly you did in the developer menu to get it working?
Did you try taking out the battery and replacing it? This has worked numerous times for me.
Calculatordream wrote:
Did you try taking out the battery and replacing it? This has worked numerous times for me.

Haven't yet, but I'll try that next, thanks! At some point, it stopped the loop while I was messing around with the developer mode and the screen was where I needed it to redownload the OS, but then I left it alone overnight and it started rebooting again. I think it is probably a problem with the battery.
I can only turn on my CAS when I plug it in/charge it, but the thing is, it doesn't charge. It loops back to the same old charging screen; I can't do anything. I tried plugging it into a laptop, but it "malfunctioned." I tried doing reset tricks, but it reverted back to the charging loop. Yes, I have also tried taking out the battery and putting it back in, same thing occurs.
DL wrote:
I can only turn on my CAS when I plug it in/charge it, but the thing is, it doesn't charge. It loops back to the same old charging screen; I can't do anything. I tried plugging it into a laptop, but it "malfunctioned." I tried doing reset tricks, but it reverted back to the charging loop. Yes, I have also tried taking out the battery and putting it back in, same thing occurs.

Does it boot if you remove the battery and plug the USB cable into something like a phone charger USB port? It should be able to, and that would tell you if the battery isn't working.
Yeah, it shows the same thing without the battery..
I mean, if there's a battery issue, TI can exchange it anyway.

try contacting ti-cares@ti.com and explain the problem

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours