Hi Everyone,

Right, as I am right now in vacations and have some spare time to spend on my coding pojects, they are now moving forward ...

So I guess one of them is sufficiently advanced to reach the "Showable" flag Very Happy

Some of you may already know the project Shmup as it is discussed for months on Planete Casio, the French Casio-aficionados site.

Shmup now reached rev v0.4 and is, as expected, a Old-School Shoot Them Up. It is engined by Azur/fxSDK from Lephenixnoir.

It runs at ~30/35FPS on fx-CG50 real hardware without overclok despite massive amount of sprites to be drawn on screen. Below is a video of the current revision of the project.

You can keep the advancement of the project here : Shmup Topic on Planete Casio and I just relased a build made this morning here MyShmup.g3a

If you want to test the current build, the following keys are used :

Directional cross to move
[F1] : normal shoot (continuous shoot as long as the key is kept pressed)
[F2] : boosted shoot (continuous shoot as long as the key is kept pressed)
[F3] : laser shoot (shot after shot, at keypressed event)

[SHIFT] + [F1] à [F3] to show/hide some debug infos

[SHIFT] + [EXIT] to quit

At the moment, the gameplay is very minimal as I am working on developping the engine of the game, not focusing at all on the game content at all.

Please give me your feedbacks (including bugs report Very Happy )
That looks very impressive! I can't wait to try it on Heath's emulator as well, if I install it.
That's beautiful! It reminds me of R-Type 3, one of my favorite SNES games.
Thanks Both.
unfortunately, for any reason, it does not run on Heath's emulator.
It starts well but crashes after few seconds for an obscure reason.

I plan to contact him to check if he knows what's going on with this crash.
As I said on TIP nice work. I just tried this on my fx-CG10 and it's still very playable, although I bet with so much stuff on the screen it would be very hard if we could die. Smile
slyVTT wrote:
Thanks Both.
unfortunately, for any reason, it does not run on Heath's emulator.
It starts well but crashes after few seconds for an obscure reason.

I plan to contact him to check if he knows what's going on with this crash.

Try the "os" branch, it works for me but the master branch doesn't. If you don't have the dumps you need you should be able to comment out the lines that load the files in
Thanks Heath, I will try the "os" branch to check if it works with Shmup.
Heath,
FYI, it works just great with the "os" branch of the emulator, thanks, it will save me a lot of time Very Happy
Some news regarding Shmup developments. Still a long path to go, but there are quite a lot of new things implemented in the current revision:

- Boss implementation has been slightly improved, with a lot of small optimisations here and there to get better performances.
- Boss shoots have been also implemented (see the video below for a example).
- Boss can follow a path as the other enemies. Paths are based on splines defined by a collection of "control points" (in the video below, you can see that the central part of the boss follows a kind of big 8-shaped trajectory while moving).

It looks like a Bullet Hell / Danmaku Shmup. Of course it is for testing only at that stage, but maybe something to think about (I will need to adjust the hitbox of the player's spaceship Smile )

I have still a lot of things to implement and the TODO list is really really huge. So I guess the final release is still quite far away.

Stay tuned (and please give me a like on Youtube if you thing the game worth it).
Some updates on my Shmup. Recently I added the features to support new shots based on lasers.

This means I had to implement many stuff to manage collisions between lines and bounding boxes and triangles. This new system is very versatile and will be able to manage lasers coming from every direction (as seen in the video just below). This allows to imagine many aggressive bosses with lasers shooting everywhere.

I also worked on a pixel perfect collision system for a special mode called 'Asteroid Alert' that will come in a near future.

The next big step for the coming weeks will be the development of the 'Sequencer' part, responsible for the management of the gameplay and the level (will send the ennemies, will manage the background, the timing of the various sequences, ...).

With that additional brick, the engine should be more or less finished and hence development will be rather focused on levels, new ennemies/bosses and less 'low level' stuff.
Keep up the work. This project might just make me buy a fx-CG50

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours