Hello,
Im trying to boot linux directly from my Ti nspire cx cas II without using an external USB drive and need help creating a initrd. I have a rootfs folder made, but cannot figure out how to create the needed initrd.tns file. If someone could let me know the process, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Which method and distribution did you use to make the rootfs ?
I followed this guide to make the root fs, https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18644&start=0, but then I realized that the root fs would be too big for the initrd. So then I downloaded the busybox .tar.xz rootfs off of the ti planet linux nspire builds site, and added a few files, but I'm not sure how to get it into the initrd format.
In part 1, step 9, I'd try to use `make deb-pkg` instead of `make linux`.
Granted, it's been a while since I tried to build and install a Debian package from raw, mainline kernel source, let alone on non-x86/x86-64 computers.
I completed part 1, which is making the kernel, without any problems. I even did part 2, but I don’t know how to get the resulting rootfs into initrd format.
On dozens of x86 (i386) & x86_64 (amd64) Debian computers I administer at home and work, every time I install a Debian linux-image-VERSION-ARCH.deb package, an initrd containing the relevant files is automatically produced by the post-install scripts. That's why I'm suggesting to build the kernel again as a Debian package, install the Debian package in your chroot, and see whether an initrd is produced Smile
I do no longer have armel, armhf or arm64 boards handy to check what happens on these architectures, but I'd expect the same to happen.
Hmm, I don’t see a initrd from being produced, and how would I add programs if I created a initrd this way?
For now, I have checked that a
Code:
/boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-10-rpi
initrd is automatically produced after
Code:
apt update; apt install linux-image-rpi
in the fresh chroot created according to the guide in the other topic, as I expected. This installs packages such as
Code:
initramfs-tools

Later, I'll check whether the same happens when installing a Debian package produced by building mainline kernel sources Smile
buildroot does not seem to provide an option to build distro-specific kernel packages.

I've started trying to build and install a Debian package from mainline kernel sources inside the previously created fresh chroot.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours