So when I try to open TiLP on my Windows 7 32-bit computer while using a Silverlink Graphlink cable to connect it to my TI-83+ graphing calculator, it won't work very well and I don't know why. There are 3 female USB ports on my laptop; the 2 on the right bring up this error:

Msg: failed to open the USB device.
Cause: Check that the USB cable is plugged in and that the calculator is turned ON! Also, check libusb and usbfs for valid permissions.

The one on the left doesn't bring up the error, but when it shows the display window for TiLP, most of the buttons ("Ready?", "Dirlist", "Backup", "Restore", "Receive" specifically) are grayed out. These happen regardless of whether the Graphing Calculator is turned on or not, and also regardless of whether they are connected or not.

I have also tried opening DoorsCS with it; it shows the above error followed by this one:

The cable cannot be used.
Cause: the cable has not been initialized due to a previous/current error.

when on the right two USB ports, also regardless of whether the Graphing Calculator is on or not. The left port is even weirder: no error, but it shows the TiLP program extremely briefly (<1 second) before stopping. I have been able to confirm that nothing happens after this.

The weird thing is that, when I try to use TI-CONNECT to do stuff, it works perfectly, but only when using the right two ports. But when I want to use those same ports, TiLP basically says "Welp, time to give up and do nothing! Confused "

I have been experimenting with it all day because Notepad++ won't let me save files as .z80 files and I can't port them as the next-best thing, .asm files. If anyone has a solution for why DoorsCS and TiLP aren't working, or knows a good way to save files from Notepad++ into the .z80 file format, both things would be much appreciated!

Also, I am able to provide any info I may have left out, except screenshots. I don't know how to take screenshots on this device; apologies in advance!
keebruce wrote:
So when I try to open TiLP on my Windows 7 32-bit computer while using a Silverlink Graphlink cable to connect it to my TI-83+ graphing calculator, it won't work very well and I don't know why. There are 3 female USB ports on my laptop; the 2 on the right bring up this error:

Msg: failed to open the USB device.
Cause: Check that the USB cable is plugged in and that the calculator is turned ON! Also, check libusb and usbfs for valid permissions.

Have you checked to make sure libusb and usbfs have valid permissions yet, like it says?

keebruce wrote:

The one on the left doesn't bring up the error, but when it shows the display window for TiLP, most of the buttons ("Ready?", "Dirlist", "Backup", "Restore", "Receive" specifically) are grayed out. These happen regardless of whether the Graphing Calculator is turned on or not, and also regardless of whether they are connected or not.

I have also tried opening DoorsCS with it; it shows the above error followed by this one:

when on the right two USB ports, also regardless of whether the Graphing Calculator is on or not. The left port is even weirder: no error, but it shows the TiLP program extremely briefly (<1 second) before stopping. I have been able to confirm that nothing happens after this.

The weird thing is that, when I try to use TI-CONNECT to do stuff, it works perfectly, but only when using the right two ports. But when I want to use those same ports, TiLP basically says "Welp, time to give up and do nothing! Confused "

What OS version is your calc? What version of TiLP are you using?

keebruce wrote:

I have been experimenting with it all day because Notepad++ won't let me save files as .z80 files and I can't port them as the next-best thing, .asm files. If anyone has a solution for why DoorsCS and TiLP aren't working, or knows a good way to save files from Notepad++ into the .z80 file format, both things would be much appreciated!

https://quehow.com/how-to-change-a-file-extension-in-windows-7/2722.html

https://allthingsmarked.com/2009/07/29/associate-file-extensions-with-specific-languages-in-notepad-plus-plus/

keebruce wrote:

Also, I am able to provide any info I may have left out, except screenshots. I don't know how to take screenshots on this device; apologies in advance!

https://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows
Eeems wrote:
Have you checked to make sure libusb and usbfs have valid permissions yet, like it says?
In fairness, Windows doesn't have a usbfs; this error message is very unhelpful on Windows.

I know TiLP tends to be a pain to use on Windows; as long as you don't have very complex needs, ticalc.link may be an easier way to get linking working.
I've been having the same error -that is, the

error- after I tried to move a file onto my calculator (a TI-84 Plus CE). When I tried to move the file to my calculator, I kept having the same issue of the calculator saying it was defragging then an error in my terminal on the connected computer (a Linux Mint). Now, my calculator isn't recognized by TILP, even if I try every port on the computer. I think something about the cable is messed up by the defragging deal, hence the error.

Here's what the terminal says when I try to connect the calculator, and it's always repeated:

tilp-INFO: 19:15:08.906: Opening cable DirectLink on port #1 to communicate with calculator TI84+CE USB
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: Check for libusb support:
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: usb support: available.
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: Check for libusb usability:
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: usb filesystem (/dev/bus/usb/): mounted

(tilp:114018): ticables-WARNING **: 19:15:08.906: no devices found!
Freed up some space on the calculator, ran an intensive program that, when finished, the calculator responded to by prompting a garbage cleanup (which I accepted), then with the extra ram it could connect.

MrSmart13579 wrote:
I've been having the same error -that is, the

error- after I tried to move a file onto my calculator (a TI-84 Plus CE). When I tried to move the file to my calculator, I kept having the same issue of the calculator saying it was defragging then an error in my terminal on the connected computer (a Linux Mint). Now, my calculator isn't recognized by TILP, even if I try every port on the computer. I think something about the cable is messed up by the defragging deal, hence the error.

Here's what the terminal says when I try to connect the calculator, and it's always repeated:

tilp-INFO: 19:15:08.906: Opening cable DirectLink on port #1 to communicate with calculator TI84+CE USB
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: Check for libusb support:
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: usb support: available.
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: Check for libusb usability:
ticables-INFO: 19:15:08.906: usb filesystem (/dev/bus/usb/): mounted

(tilp:114018): ticables-WARNING **: 19:15:08.906: no devices found!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours