If you have once peeked at the "TI-84 Plus CE Python programs" section in Downloads, there are only 3 projects as of now.

Why only 3? Are there not many programmers that code for Python editions? If so, can i be the one coding there? Razz
In short, the Python implementation provided on the CE calculators is quite limited, as it was clearly designed to be the cheapest system possible that can still run the relatively small-scale programs written in introductory programming class.

Python code is run on a separate processor that has significantly less memory available to it than programs running on the main processor do. Add to that that Python programs use a lot more memory than either TI-BASIC or native programs do, and you end up running out of memory extremely quickly whenever you try to make a complicated program. A while back I was working on a (now abandoned) project that allowed you to use the graphx library from Python. I started running into memory issues just by defining an empty method for each function in the library, even before actually writing the implementations for them.

Additionally, you don't have nearly as much control over the calculator's OS or hardware or from Python as you do from TI-BASIC or native programs. If I remember correctly, it's not even possible to check if a key is pressed in Python, without freezing the entire program until a key is pressed.

But don't let that stop you if you're interested in writing Python programs. It can be fun to write software in spite of a platform's restrictions, and we definitely welcome Python programs in our downloads section.
As someone who made the Bit2Talk program, one of the three programs in python on this site, I can recommend it. Like commandblockguy said, it is not the fastest, nor the best. This is mostly because of the limited amount of imports and processing power.

If you want to use python for your projects, go for it. I would recommend using a micro:bit with it. This of course is not necessary, but it gives some more possibilities, like a small speaker, or wireless communication.
Yeah TI has put resources towards making pretty cool stuff doable with external peripherals in Python: interfacing with external boards, controlling robots and drones etc. It's definitely more exciting than trying to do local stuff that get limited too fast lol

See https://education.ti.com/en/product-resources/dash and https://education.ti.com/en/product-resources/tello-drone
Thanks for all the answers! Very Happy
I did the first of the three programs in the archives as an experiment. the main problem I have is definitely the lack of good key input methods and the fact that the whole thing is slow- The Python implementation is definitely more of a gimmick than an actual thing you'd want to make games in. You could probably do text based RPGs with it. but TI-BASIC can do that just as well if not better because it has more memory available to it, and it works across more calculator models than Python does.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours