The batteries in my TI-89 Titanium drain even while the calculator is turned off. It's second hand so I'm not sure what happened to it in the past but there was some corrosion from batteries leaking. As far as I could see, it was just on the battery terminals and the pads on the PCB that connects to the terminals. I cleaned it up and scrubbed the PCB with isopropyl, though there's still a bit of corrosion around the edges of one the pads.

Weirdly, if I wait until the batteries go flat before replacing them the calculator settings are reset. However, if I just remove one of the batteries and put it back in later the settings are saved.

I connected up a multimeter to measure the current and got:

• 18.75 mA when on and idle on the home screen
  • 15.2 mA when off

I've read suggestions that this could be caused by a short. How would I go about locating where the short is?
daoxakh wrote:
Weirdly, if I wait until the batteries go flat before replacing them the calculator settings are reset. However, if I just remove one of the batteries and put it back in later the settings are saved.

That's just the backup battery.

It definitely shouldn't be pulling 15mA when off (should be somewhere around 100μA)
First step would be to clean it but that's already done... Good Idea
If you can't see anything abnormal just by looking at the board, I guess just measure voltages across the different lines while the calc is off and try to focus on areas where there is corrosion. The power draw varies quite a bit depending on what the calc is doing (notably writing to flash or using the USB port draws significantly more power) so you could try to measure the power draw during different operations like garbage collecting or sending something from the USB port to try to isolate a specific subcircuit.
mr womp womp wrote:
daoxakh wrote:

That's just the backup battery.

Oh ok, I had thought the backup battery would also work when the main batteries went flat.

Quote:

It definitely shouldn't be pulling 15mA when off (should be somewhere around 100μA)
First step would be to clean it but that's already done... Good Idea
If you can't see anything abnormal just by looking at the board, I guess just measure voltages across the different lines while the calc is off and try to focus on areas where there is corrosion. The power draw varies quite a bit depending on what the calc is doing (notably writing to flash or using the USB port draws significantly more power) so you could try to measure the power draw during different operations like garbage collecting or sending something from the USB port to try to isolate a specific subcircuit.

Alright, thanks! I'll have a go and see what I can find.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours