People who occasionally look at user profiles here on Cemetech may have noted that the design of that page has been somewhat lacking, especially the graph of posts over time being completely unreadable for many longtime users. Here's mine as an example:

The posts graph in particular is somewhat difficult to manage on the backend due to how it generates and stores those images, so to enable further improvements I've rebuilt the user profile page to fix some of the weird things and completely replace the posts-per-day image with an interactive one. Here's the new view of my profile:

This will be rolling out for all requests over the next few hours, and although I am currently unaware of any issues introduced by this change please do comment here if you encounter any.
Nice work, Tari! I'm impressed, as always, if slightly tinged with bittersweet feelings for one of my last remaining live PHP forays into generating images dynamically finally being retired. I notice you removed the stat computing the percent of the total forum content the user posted - what made you choose that?
The percentage of all posts just seemed a bit too difficult (+costly) to implement to be worthwhile, since it goes out and sums up the recorded post count from all forums. Probably not too difficult to add again, but I didn't consider it very important (but could probably be convinced of its worth).
This looks really nice! I appreciate the effort to modernize parts of the website, and a cool graph is always fun Smile

In the context of this change, would it be possible to also add a few more (Updated) social links? I believe this was suggested previously, but a few websites that stand out would be MyCalcs, GitHub, and maybe Discord? An alternative to this would be to allow the user to add up to 4 or so custom social platforms, and display an icon for the ones that were recognized. Either way, it would be nice to have a way to link more relevant platforms, especially ones like MyCalcs and GitHub which are frequently used in the community.

On a separate note, I quickly checked using inspect element and it seems mobile doesn't like the graph, though I'm not sure how much that would apply to an actual mobile device?

Nicely caught, TIny_Hacker: I just tried on my actual mobile device, and the graph wasn't as responsive as one might hope.
I get a Server Error (500) when I try to view my profile Sad
TIny_Hacker wrote:
On a separate note, I quickly checked using inspect element and it seems mobile doesn't like the graph, though I'm not sure how much that would apply to an actual mobile device?
This is intentional because there's no control over the padding around the graph itself and it ends up being uselessly narrow on a typical phone-sized screen. Might be reasonable to set it to scroll horizontally rather than just overflow though. I've tweaked it to scroll the graph horizontally on its own so this looks less like an unintentional behavior.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
I get a Server Error (500) when I try to view my profile
It's okay now (or shortly); 1-character fix to the "cemetech expert" banner.
Very nice! Glad to see there is still some work happening on the site.
I noticed you created a new class "userinfo--linkbutton" which seems to be basically the same as the old "forum-action-button", is there a reason for this? Also I feel like the overflow should be hidden on userinfo--posts-per-day, it looks weird.
Anyways, I went ahead and updated the userstyle to support the new design in both light and dark themes. Smile

mr womp womp wrote:
I noticed you created a new class "userinfo--linkbutton" which seems to be basically the same as the old "forum-action-button", is there a reason for this?
They're used by entirely different codebases.

Quote:
Also I feel like the overflow should be hidden on userinfo--posts-per-day, it looks weird.
I think this is explained by my earlier comment:
Quote:
This is intentional because there's no control over the padding around the graph itself and it ends up being uselessly narrow on a typical phone-sized screen.
To prevent it becoming uselessly narrow, the graph has a minimum width wider than many phone screens and it's set to scroll horizontally so you can still see the whole thing.

Although on reflection I think your comment might be more about the difference between overflow: scroll and overflow: auto where I agree setting it to auto makes more sense. I probably didn't notice that because all the browsers I tested with are doing the horrible newfangled "autohide scrollbars most of the time" thing.

Quote:
Anyways, I went ahead and updated the userstyle to support the new design in both light and dark themes. Smile
If you haven't done anything too weird for that, this should also work for the global forum stats graph. They're now generated with the same client-side code.
Tari wrote:
They're used by entirely different codebases.

Ok

Tari wrote:
I think this is explained by my earlier comment:
Quote:
This is intentional because there's no control over the padding around the graph itself and it ends up being uselessly narrow on a typical phone-sized screen.
To prevent it becoming uselessly narrow, the graph has a minimum width wider than many phone screens and it's set to scroll horizontally so you can still see the whole thing.

Although on reflection I think your comment might be more about the difference between overflow: scroll and overflow: auto where I agree setting it to auto makes more sense. I probably didn't notice that because all the browsers I tested with are doing the horrible newfangled "autohide scrollbars most of the time" thing.

Yeah, there's only so much you can do for mobile support. You're right, overflow: auto would be preferrable in this case.
Tari wrote:
If you haven't done anything too weird for that, this should also work for the global forum stats graph. They're now generated with the same client-side code.

Had a little problem with the height of the main div getting smooshed down to 0.1875rem due to some old selector that is way too broad (not the first time I've had to tweak it). Other than that, it worked.
Can the profile number be front-facing for things like mycalcs that still require it?
Crude mockup

I really like the new look Very Happy
So you're saying you want to expose the Cemetech UID somewhere on this page because it's no longer in the URL? That seems reasonable.Here you go.
Nice!
Shiny!!
Figured this would be simpler than a bug report topic:
I cannot seem to access the profile of users with an apostrophe in the name, like Ultimate Dev'r. The userlist provides https://www.cemetech.net/users/Ultimate%20Dev'r but neither this nor https://www.cemetech.net/users/Ultimate%20Dev%27r nor http://ceme.tech/u7 seem to work.
That seemed like an easy fix, but there was more to it than expected because it turns out that the way phpbb stores usernames (among other data) is stupid. The links you shared in the preceding post will be working fine once the fix finishes rolling out (which is happening as I write this).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours