Sorry if this might be a duplicate, but I'm not sure how to google this.

I know that from computer science that the registers are for high-speed variables so I've been trying to minimize my use of ram. How much of a difference can this actually make? What is the speed differences of something like this:

Code:

ld a, b
; and
pop af
; or even
ld a, (0x1234)

I have seen references to people talking about counting T-states of their programs but how do I know how long each line takes?

Again sorry if this has been asked a million times before.
Yes, in general using registers will be faster than using memory. However, memory does include the bytes of the instructions themselves. So for example, loading a constant into a register will be slower than loading a register into it. This is what leads to optimizations like XOR A instead of LD A,0.

In any case, you can use helpful references like this to see the technical information for every instruction: https://clrhome.org/table/

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours