i am starting a VB project similer to Tablet83 as not everyone wants a python program, and noone wants to bother installing extra packages if just to run a program, and i need a worthy project to work on for fun, i will be writing it from scratch. i plan to release a very early alpha in a few months, currently it is just code, and a warning it will be case sensitive to make parsing much easier
what wouldn't be case sensitive really. I hope you gor permission from proegssilb to do this. As for this, could be interesting. Maybe you and proegssilb can work together on this.
why would i need permission, and he does not seam opposed to it, and i am helping him with his and he has helped me a little already with mine
why permission, he came up with the concept and therfore it would be just good releations for this, but if he knows about it and had no objections, then alright.
rivereye wrote:
I hope you got permission from proegssilb to do this.

He doesn't need permission. Further, I can't do anything about it; I'm very sure that's one of the conditions of GPL.
rivereye wrote:
Maybe you and proegssilb can work together on this.

I do not forsee that. I have the software, but Glenn and I are very different people. The most we could share is psuedo-code and experience. I do not want to say more here, for it will likely develop into a flame war if I do. I don't care to have my project attacked quite that thoroughly right now.
Glenn, I wish you luck. If anyone wants to know anything about T83, please ask.
well, it is not that he would need it, but it is generally nice to ask to do this kind of stuff.
Why VB? That limits your release platform and hurts speed. Be daring and do it in C or C++ Very Happy (and don't use any MS libraries)

People also won't need to install any extra programs, nor will they care if its in Python or not - thats what Py2Exe is for, so your first two reasons aren't any good, but of course, the 3rd is rock solid Laughing

Oh, and commas aren't viable subsitutes for periods. Please use periods and END sentences, rather than just making your entire post one giant run on 'sentence'
vb, because it is easiest for me. and i do not know C or C++ but i am trying to leard C++. and proegssilb does not seam interested in python2exe version of T83, but i could be wrong.
Don't worry, Tablet83 will have RELEASED versions for windows made with py2exe, but there isn't any reason to make any yet as it is still in very early alpha stages Laughing
I dunno, Glenn, I think your time might be batter spent helping to further T83 than making a competitor, considering how far Proegssilb has already gotten, but if you still want to, then good luck.
i do not know otherwise i would help more, and i need the experiance with parsers and such for possible future projects, and i am helping him where i can
Fair enough, you'll go forward with the project then. I hope it goes well for ya. Will you be starting from scratch, or basing it on the work Proegssilb has already done?
Yes i will be starting it from scratch. That is because i believe that will be easiest because i do not know python.
Python's not exactly hard to learn, but whatever, do what you will. Sounds like a great project to start, although I'm unsure how viable it will be to do in VB...
i think it is quite viable, what do you think would be hard, and i dislike interpreted laguages.
Uh... VB is interpreted Rolling Eyes But why do you dislike them? They do much of your work for you...
Glenn wrote:
i do not know python.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Python's not exactly hard to learn, but whatever.

From what I've seen of VB syntax, Python is about as easy to learn as VB, and therefore your time is better spent learning Python. If there's some way to get Python to work with ActiveX, you should be able to make a VB-Compatible DLL or a COM Server that works with VB, and get the best of both worlds.
If it changes anything, my brother learned Python from a pocket reference, and he's currently the better coder (between me and him). He started out from VB, tried C/C++ (doesn't quite get some of the M$ specific stuff, but who cares about that), and now prefers Python to VB.
I learned VB, and personally, I find it a horrible language. It was supposed to be a stripped down "BASIC" language designed for simple applications with rapid development. It has since been stretched way beyond that, and is a mine field of old and new ideas and concepts crammed together.

You are much better off learning a language like Python, PHP, C/C++, or even C# - as those are all languages used in "real" programs, lol - or you could mix it up and learn something radically different like Lisp or Scheme

Oh, and it is much easier to make a parser in C/C++ or Python, as then you can use lexx/flex and bison/yacc. I don't think those were ever ported to VB, but I could be wrong Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
Uh... VB is interpreted Rolling Eyes But why do you dislike them? They do much of your work for you...

Actually, VB can be interpreted or compiled.
rivereye wrote:
Actually, VB can be interpreted or compiled.

And like python, its "compiled" version is little more than a wrapped interpreted version, not a true compile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours