Alright, thanks for the info!
Looks like there's been major progress here... good work Smile
Sometimes, rewriting (almost) from scratch to benefit from experience gained developing the previous iteration is the way to go.
Time for a quick feature update!

Thanks to HexaEdit's headless start feature, CEaShell now supports the ability to directly open files in HexaEdit if you have it on your calculator! For programs that can't be opened in the TI-OS editor, it will default to using HexaEdit (if it exists, of course), and for files which can be opened in the TI-OS editor, CEaShell will show a menu prompting which editor to use. Given that it'll most likely be used more often, the TI-OS editor is the first choice in the menu, so for most cases you can just spam the [2nd] key if you want to go directly to the TI-OS editor and you don't have to move the cursor.

Great work, TIny_Hacker! It's exciting to see HexaEdit become part of a shell for the first time!

Does the title for Oiram always show up as a bunch of hex in the top bar of HexaEdit? If so, that's a bug that I need to fix.
It's very cool to be able to support integration with HexaEdit, it works flawlessly!

I looked into the Oiram issue and I think I have a guess at the problem. You'll notice that in my instance of CEmu I have Oiram hidden (For testing purposes with CEaShell). When I unhide Oiram, the name shows up correctly again, but whenever it's hidden, it shows up incorrectly again. I also tried hiding another program (HAILSTRM), and it's name is broken when hidden as well:

I wonder if it has to do with how you handle the names of hidden programs?
It was an off-by-one error in the function that extracted variable names from the VAT. Version 3.1.2 fixes this bug.
Time for a little update!

We've had a number of reports in past versions of CEaShell (along with encountering the issue ourselves) where selecting "Goto" on a TI-BASIC error would go to an incorrect offset in the program, typically near the beginning, and sometimes break all together when running subprograms.

After a bit of tinkering, Rocco and I are excited to announce that we have corrected the issue. We spent yesterday afternoon jumping around the OS to track down how it handles subprograms and temporary parsers, and Rocco finished fixing the issue last night. So now, not only will CEaShell handle subprogram errors correctly, it'll also handle other temporary parser errors such as in If statements.

This is awesome to read. I had this problem early in the development of my large game so I had to quit using CEaShell. I can't wait to try the new version when it comes out and eventually I'll try using it with Celtic CE again to test if everything seems fine. Smile
Bug report!
After I built CEaShell 2 and used it for a while, suddenly, clicking Edit and selecting TI-OS would bring up a white screen with a large rectangle of lines and flickering pixels stretching across the screen. I had seen this before, when I made an ICE program and forgot to include begin(), end(), or any combination of those. I could send a screenshot later if that would be helpful, but I'm a little squeezed for time right now. Thanks!
So is this something that didn't occur at first and then just suddenly started occuring at one point? Also, does it consistently occur now or is it at random? Does it freeze on this screen or just flash it for a second and then it's fine? Lastly, does this happen when editing anything at all, or just with programs, or just with appvars? Just any additional information would be helpful if you're able to find out Smile
So, I had opened a Celtic appvar (those are quite handy, btw, thanks for inventing them), and it happened for the first time. Since then, trying to edit any file type with the TI-OS editor causes this strange screen. It's still fully functional, I can edit the file and exit out of the editor, but this band of garbled data remains on the screen until I go back to CEaShell. I tried taking a screenshot of the bug, but on my computer (using TI Connect CE, if that makes a difference) the screen appeared fine, while on the calculator it's still messed up. If I had to make an educated guess about the cause of this effect, it may be that the LCD is pointing to the wrong location, and it's trying to display things other than the screen data. Here's a link to a really terrible photo I took with my laptop's terrible camera, but maybe it'll give you a better idea of what's happening: https://dozerstudios.com/WIN_20240122_21_01_45_Pro.jpg
I was editing a program with an icon in it, that's what all the characters are.
Hopefully this helps a bit!
I should add that these problems with the TI-OS editor don't occur at all with Cesium, and the problem doesn't occur when I initially create a program or appvar in CEaShell. It only happens when I edit a program/appvar in CEaShell.
Thanks for reporting the issue! We looked into it and were able to fix it pretty quickly, it turned out to just be an error with correcting the LCD base.

We've also added a new feature requested by Dream of Omnimaga, fast alpha scrolling in the TI-OS program editor! This was also a feature in Doors CSE 8, and it maintains a similar behavior for familiarity.

That will be handy for editing my 30+ KB files. Smile
We initially didn't plan on adding much more before a release, but we had some thoughts about a simple way to incorporate file searching so we've gone ahead and done that! The search bar is accessible by pressing [stat], and will show all files beginning with the search string in the active directory. To return from a search, simply click the parent folder at the beginning of the file list.

Note: Searching isn't included in the apps folder, as there's hardly any apps available for the calculator. You can only search AppVars and programs.

Here's a screenshot:
Update!
Yes, I know we said no more features, but this little one was too good to pass up so we added it in really quick. Now included in the icon / description hook is the size of the currently selected program or app:

As far as the next steps towards a beta and eventually release, we plan to do a little bit more testing and then publish a public beta version in our Discord server. After some thorough testing and the completion of the French translation (see below), we hope to publish an official release!

Other news:
Thanks to Shadow from TI-Planet, we were able to provide a French translation of CEaShell 1.0. He's currently working on translating the modified and new text for version 2.0, so we'll be able to provide a French translation on release as well!
TIny_Hacker wrote:
We initially didn't plan on adding much more before a release, but we had some thoughts about a simple way to incorporate file searching so we've gone ahead and done that! The search bar is accessible by pressing [stat], and will show all files beginning with the search string in the active directory. To return from a search, simply click the parent folder at the beginning of the file list.

Note: Searching isn't included in the apps folder, as there's hardly any apps available for the calculator. You can only search AppVars and programs.

Here's a screenshot:

I feel the search feature should be included because overtime more apps might be available for the calculator.
Because app searching would need to work a bit differently, due to the different structure in which app names need to be found compared to programs and AppVars, we're not planning on adding it right now. However, if a large number of apps are released in the future, we may reconsider.
The Shell Keeps Crashing: When i Exit the Settings the Whole Calculator Crashes, When i Click Alpha (or the f-key that does the same thing as alpha) it crashes.

Also I keep clicking on one program and it opens a different one.

I am Basically Just using it to enter the shell & exit so that i can have the icons in the prgm Menu.

If the issues are fixed I would Use it for its full Functionality.

Please HelpšŸ™šŸ«”

EDIT:

Would Any of The Following Interfere With CEashell?:

ā€¢Cesium
ā€¢No-Shell
ā€¢Artiface(I No longer Use this but keep it as a back-up methood)
PaulGamerBoy360 wrote:
The Shell Keeps Crashing: When i Exit the Settings the Whole Calculator Crashes, When i Click Alpha (or the f-key that does the same thing as alpha) it crashes.

Also I keep clicking on one program and it opens a different one.

I am Basically Just using it to enter the shell & exit so that i can have the icons in the prgm Menu.

If the issues are fixed I would Use it for its full Functionality.

Please HelpšŸ™šŸ«”

EDIT:

Would Any of The Following Interfere With CEashell?:

ā€¢Cesium
ā€¢No-Shell
ā€¢Artiface(I No longer Use this but keep it as a back-up methood)

I believe we've seen this issue reported earlier, and were unable to reproduce it. Assuming you're using 1.1.5, you can try reverting to an older version and see if that corrects the issue.

Since 2.0 is a full rewrite, we're no longer supporting the older versions with bug fixes. Because 99% of the code for 2.0 is new and will replace 1.1.5-, it doesn't make sense. However, 2.0 is also a lot more secure and written a lot better, so it should be a lot less buggy and more stable over all.

Obviously 2.0 isn't out yet, but if you'd like to try it before the release you can build the latest version from the GitHub repository or wait for the (hopefully soon) public beta in our Discord as well. There may be issues with 2.0, but it'll be a lot more stable over all and we'll spend time looking into fixing any issues with 2.0 you may encounter.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours