So, as many of you know, I have quite a few graphing calculators. Right now, they're all just sitting in a cardboard box, collecting dust. There's a few problems with that. For one, it makes it hard to find any particular calculator, since all the rest are usually on top of the one I want, and they all look really similar. More importantly, it prevents me from showing my collection off.

I've wanted to make some way of displaying my calculators for a while now, and I think that the best way of doing that is probably some sort of modular wall panel. It would be made up of a bunch of tiles that you could snap a calculator into and then snap together. I don't really have a whole lot of experience making physical things, though, so I figured I'd ask here for advice first.

Here's what I'd want it to be able to do:
    Stay attached to my wall. We don't want the entire thing falling off and crushing me in my sleep or something.
    Hold calculators securely. Just as obvious; we don't want calculators falling down and breaking.
    Be modular and expandable. The collection must grow; the display panel must as well.
    Make it easy to remove calculators. You only have a limited time to get PCB pictures before womp breaks in and steals your kneecaps. You don't want to be wasting time fiddling around with a display panel when every second counts.
    Provide power to the calculators. Storing calculators with batteries in them sounds like a great way to (A) spend a bajillion dollars on AAA batteries and (B) have something explode and deal corrosion damage to the calculator.
    Allow you to use the calculators while they're plugged in. Occasionally you want to test something on different calculators or OS versions and you don't want to have to remove them from the wall and put batteries in them in order to do so. I figure that you could also run some graphical program on the calculators continuously for a neat effect.
    Keep the various pieces of a calculator together. I don't want to lose faceplates or battery panels or get them mixed up between different calculators.
    Look nice. It's not much of a display if you're ashamed to display it.
    Be relatively cheap. I'm a broke college student; every dollar not spent on a display panel is another dollar I could spend on moar calculators instead.

I might also want to add some way to link with the calculators while they're mounted, but that sounds both complicated and expensive.

My current plan is to make some wooden panels with a multiple of a fixed size (e.g. a single unit might be large enough for a TI-Nspire, while a TI-92 could get a double-wide panel). Panels would have some sort of connector on the side to allow you to attach more panels modularly. I would then 3D print a plastic piece (with a different design for each model of calculator) that slots into the calculator's battery holder, with clips that you could snap the rest of the calculator into. You could then attach the plastic piece to the wooden panel somehow. I could also have a slot at the bottom of the panel that could hold a card with information like the calculator name, datecode, and serial number.

I figure that I could also have some panels with things that are not calculators but calculator-related, like a dispenser for AAA batteries, a screwdriver holder, or a decorative chart (maybe of a timeline of calculator history, a Z80 opcode table, or a reference for commonly used BCALLs).

There's still a few things I need to work out:
    How do I attach it to my wall? I'm living in a dorm room this year where I don't think I can screw stuff into the wall, so I'd need to find another way to attach it.
    How should I store battery covers? Ideally, I wouldn't want them to be super visible. I suppose I could put them behind the calculator, but that would require the wood panels to be thicker and therefore heavier.
    What software should I use for designing the plastic parts? I have very little experience with CAD. I'd prefer something that works on Linux, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to use my Windows dual-boot for it.
    How should I handle the electrical connections? I'd prefer to be able to add or remove panels from the setup without having to reconnect wires, but that leaves the issue of making reliable connections between panels.
    Are there 3D models of any calculators already? That would make it a lot easier to design parts that they can snap into without having to measure stuff myself.

Like I said, I have very little experience with building physical stuff, so I expect that I'll be asking a lot more questions in this thread in the future. If you have any feedback, please let me know.
Sounds like quite a project! All of those calculators are going to be very heavy on your wall. If your wall is drywall (like most other indoor residential walls), then it won't have the strength to hold all of those calculators.

But that's okay! Behind the drywall are vertical wooden beams, each about sixteen inches apart from each other (in Canada and the US, at least). So any contraption that you use to hold your calculators to the wall must somehow anchor itself to (at least) one of these wooden beams.

To find where these beams are, simply wave a magnet or a stud finder on your wall. You'll notice that the magnet or stud finder will stick to the wall at the edges (thanks to steel corner pieces) and in random spots on the wall. These random spots are where magnetic screws hold the drywall to the wooden beams. If you find a spot, you'll know that a wooden beam is there and that anything that you attach at, below, or above that spot will not fall out of the wall.

To recap: you'll want to find the wooden beams inside your wall and attach your calculator wall displays onto them.
I like this project, it's something I've also wanted to do for the longest time.

Quote:
How do I attach it to my wall? I'm living in a dorm room this year where I don't think I can screw stuff into the wall, so I'd need to find another way to attach it.
Since you can't screw things to your wall right now, maybe just make it stand on its own. One way you could do this is by copying signs like

Quote:
How should I store battery covers? Ideally, I wouldn't want them to be super visible. I suppose I could put them behind the calculator, but that would require the wood panels to be thicker and therefore heavier.

Pre-A CEs can be powered directly from the USB port, but that's the only calc and revision I know of that behaves that way.

Maybe you could get a wireless charging receiver and stick it in the battery bay. That way you could leave the battery door on the calculator. Then whatever frame you put on the wall would have a bunch of wireless charging coils constantly powering the calcs until you remove them.

That's probably overthinking things though. You could likely find wires thin enough to get between the calc's body and the battery door (so long as it's not screwed in all the way).
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Quote:

Pre-A CEs can be powered directly from the USB port, but that's the only calc and revision I know of that behaves that way.

Maybe you could get a wireless charging receiver and stick it in the battery bay. That way you could leave the battery door on the calculator. Then whatever frame you put on the wall would have a bunch of wireless charging coils constantly powering the calcs until you remove them.

That's probably overthinking things though. You could likely find wires thin enough to get between the calc's body and the battery door (so long as it's not screwed in all the way).

I'm not too concerned with the batteries for the ones with rechargeable Li-Pos - I'll probably just leave the batteries in and power them from the USB port. It's the ones that take AAA batteries that I'm more worried about, since those require me to buy more batteries than come with the calculators, and are more prone to exploding. I could probably fit wires in from the bottom if I only attached one side of the battery door, but that would make it harder to remove calculators from the panel since I would then need to disconnect the wires from it.
Quote:
Provide power to the calculators. Storing calculators with batteries in them sounds like a great way to (A) spend a bajillion dollars on AAA batteries and (B) have something explode and deal corrosion damage to the calculator.
May I recommend the solution geekboy1011 and I created for Maker Faire? https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11926

In addition to the battery inserts, that includes a template for 3D-printable battery covers that have a notch cut out for wires.

Edit: I missed this part:
Quote:
Are there 3D models of any calculators already? That would make it a lot easier to design parts that they can snap into without having to measure stuff myself.
We have 3D printable slide cases, which could be a good way to secure calculators to something else without needing to drill, glue, adhesive, etc. anything from your actual calculators:
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11189
This sounds like a really neat idea! One way you could try attaching things to the wall would be using heavy-duty wall velcro, like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BNPX3XJ/

While it can't hold a ton of weight, it does still hold quite a lot, and 10 lbs would probably be enough for a piece of wood with a calculator attached. It would be a lot more expensive than screws though, and has the possibility of damaging paint, so it might not be the solution you're looking for. It might also make taking the panels down a bit tricky, as I'm not sure how many times you can separate the velcro before it loses some of it's stability. However, if you're looking for a way to mount things to the wall without screws, this might be your best bet.
commandblockguy wrote:
    Make it easy to remove calculators. You only have a limited time to get PCB pictures before womp breaks in and steals your kneecaps. You don't want to be wasting time fiddling around with a display panel when every second counts.

Yes Laughing
As for 3D models of calculators, that's a project I've been working on. I only have the CE scanned right now though.
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18527&start=0

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours