build -> plug in ->paste g3a -> plug out -> build...
How long can the USB connector last? Confused
You should be fine. Your USB connector, on the other hand...

Should also be fine. As far as I know, there's no data limit. Just treat it well, and it should last a while Smile
Unplug the cable from the computer instead of unplugging the cable from the calculator if you're really worried about wear on the calculator's receptacle. USB connectors are rated for thousands to tens of thousands of insertion/extraction cycles, depending on the type and durability class. You're more likely to have trouble with dust or debris in the plug than actual physical failure of the plug itself.
boricj wrote:
Unplug the cable from the computer instead of unplugging the cable from the calculator if you're really worried about wear on the calculator's receptacle. USB connectors are rated for thousands to tens of thousands of insertion/extraction cycles, depending on the type and durability class. You're more likely to have trouble with dust or debris in the plug than actual physical failure of the plug itself.

Good idea! Let the 1000 bucks worthing PC to take burden from 100 bucks Casio calc Razz

Seriously, it will be wonderful to have some way of IAP. From my life experiences with all kinds of electronical consumer devices (mostly phones, tablets) a USB connector has high rate of physical failure.

I am wondering how many of you are developing with an Emulator, or is there some good way other than plug then unplug like crazy?
si wrote:
boricj wrote:

Good idea! Let the 1000 bucks worthing PC to take burden from 100 bucks Casio calc Razz

Seriously, it will be wonderful to have some way of IAP. From my life experiences with all kinds of electronical consumer devices (mostly phones, tablets) a USB connector has high rate of physical failure.

I am wondering how many of you are developing with an Emulator, or is there some good way other than plug then unplug like crazy?

Personally, I just leave it plugged in.

For the first time in a programming session:
Compile -> Plug in -> Copy g3a over -> Eject (from file manager)

The in the future:
Compile -> Open link app -> RECV (F2) -> Copy g3a over -> Eject (from file manager)

You still have to plug and unplug the cable, but only once every time you sit down and program.
dr-carlos wrote:

For the first time in a programming session:
Compile -> Plug in -> Copy g3a over -> Eject (from file manager)

The in the future:
Compile -> Open link app -> RECV (F2) -> Copy g3a over -> Eject (from file manager)

You still have to plug and unplug the cable, but only once every time you sit down and program.

Oh for the Mother of Dragons' sake I did not know one can establish USB connection again from the link app until you said!! Thank you Mr. USB saver!
New skill unlocked. Silly me lol
si wrote:
New skill unlocked. Silly me 0x5

That's fine Smile
I didn't realise you could do it until I was messing around with the buttons in the Link app.
si wrote:

Then get a short USB extension cord, plug the calculator's cable into it and cycle the middle connection each time. Or reset the USB connection through software and skip the physical unplug/replug dance.
si: A couple of forum etiquette things I've noticed that you may not be familiar with:
  • Please give your topics descriptive titles, like the title this topic now has instead of "I am worried".
  • Double-posting is not permitted. If it's <24 hours since the last post in the topic, and it's yours, edit it instead of posting again

Thanks!
Hi KermMartian:

Thank you for pointing them out. Fully understood. Really sorry for that!

EDIT:

While I was double-checking all my posts titles I noticed one of them in the "general topic" sub-forum is missing. I am surprised it occurred here in this forum, without even any reason or further chance for me to explain or improve.
No problem re: topic/double-posting! I moved a topic that didn't belong in our General Open Topic subforum to our Suspended section for now; such topics belong in our Politics & Rants section, or nowhere. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me so we can keep this on-topic.

Relevant to the topic at hand, I'd mostly worry about the lifetime of the solder joints connecting the USB port to the mainboard. I've seen a few TI calculators (though never a Casio calculator) with damaged USB ports, and while they're fixable, it's not fun to replace those USB ports. To mitigate this danger, most USB ports have some mechanical keying that goes through the PCB on which they're mounted, taking the stress of the insertion/removal forces off the solder joints.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours