This practical build of an Onion article wandered through my sphere this morning and it seemed of interest to others here: it's substantially an arcade cabinet with Texas Instruments branding on it that graphs functions.

I was a little disappointed that it's not emulating any particular calculator and instead runs a bespoke graphing program; a similar thing that emulates a TI-83+ (perhaps where it "puts the batteries in" when you insert a coin and it gives you a few minutes of runtime) seems like it would be fun. The build quality of the cabinet seems quite good, though!
I saw this as well this morning! It's a pretty cool project and I'm surprised they got it working so well with only two knobs.
This is very cool!
There were talks of doing essentially what you mentioned (a giant calculator that emulated a CSE) as an evolution of the "Program a game in 60 seconds" demo at maker faire. This never materialized though.

geekboy1011 and I indeed spent quite a bit of time discussing a giant, functional TI-84 Plus CE, but between our lack of time and particularly the end of World Maker Faire, we never upgraded the display mr womp womp posted to a big working calculator. The dream lives on, however, if anyone should ever have the inclination to push us to make it...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours