I don't know if you guys noticed or not, but the 'KellyTeenz' spam account that just registered here is the same one that registered over at UTI. It's kind of funny actually. I think they must go to the different TI forums to see which ones are susceptible to spammers.
@Kerm: can I install my antispam stuff now?
Start with the javascript escaping on the registration stuff and see what happens.
Kerm, why are you against elfprince's script. I say, do wht it would take to get rid of all these bots.
rivereye wrote:
Kerm, why are you against elfprince's script. I say, do wht it would take to get rid of all these bots.
I'm not against it, I'm just in favor of taking as small steps as possible at a time.
KermMartian wrote:
rivereye wrote:
I'm not against it, I'm just in favor of taking as small steps as possible at a time.

that gives the bots a much easier learning curve
Yea, Kerm all this will do is cause the gradual evolution of the bots. I think it's best to implement severe measures and mass extinction of bots.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
rivereye wrote:

that gives the bots a much easier learning curve
It would if they did learn, but they don't. They're programmed by humans who make them work with as many phpBB forums as possible. Since this is only one of many, if I have unusual or nonstandard bot prevention tools, it's going to be as effective as "stronger" tools. Also, I'm not crazy about how professional an antispam mod looks for the board as a whole.
Alright, I can understand that, but let's at least get some form of protection up. Last time I checked, all we had was that word recognition thing that every site has.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours