I should really get another monitor... dual Dell 20.1" Flatscreens would be pretty much amazing.
Definitely - that much screen space would be mind-blowing. That's about equal to one of those insane 30" apple LCDs.
KermMartian wrote:
Definitely - that much screen space would be mind-blowing. That's about equal to one of those insane 30" apple LCDs.

but you can get 2 30" apple LCDs :0

Me Gnome + Xgl.
hehe, yeah, XGL is pretty sweet, but I'd rather have dual monitors in "boring old 2d" than XGL+Compiz an be limited to (*gasp!*) ONE MONITOR!!! NOO!!!!!

Although I do need to try the AIGLX extension for Xorg (think XGL but built in the regular Xorg) http://gentoo-wiki.com/AIGLX - and its already getting driver support Wink
If I had a second monitor, I'd probably ditch XGL, but I don't so why not enjoy the magnificence? Very Happy

I'm ditching all thoughts of getting Vista now because XGL is just as good (if not much better). EdgyEft + XGL FTW.

Why bother getting AIGLX instead of XGL. From what I'm reading, it seems like AIGLX is just a less ambitious form of XGL. If you want an accelerated desktop at all, why not go with the best? Unless of course AIGLX supports multiple monitors? Confused
I believe that it may in the future, if it doesn't already, based on some stuff I read about it. Re: your second XGL screenie: that looks like the Mac fast app switcher....
Chipmaster wrote:
Why bother getting AIGLX instead of XGL. From what I'm reading, it seems like AIGLX is just a less ambitious form of XGL. If you want an accelerated desktop at all, why not go with the best? Unless of course AIGLX supports multiple monitors? Confused

Both will give you a fully OpenGL accelerated desktop, although AIGLX has the benifit of being able to be turned on and off, and is sitting on a full Xorg 7.1 server, meaning full driver support (the newest beta nvidia drivers already support AIGLX completely, still no XGL support that I know of) and better stability and program support.

I'm not sure how you can call XGL the "best" - as they both accomplish the same task, albeit using different methods Laughing

Also, don't forget that its not XGL that creates all those fancy effects, but Compiz. XGL just provides the OpenGL platform, the same as AIGLX - compiz can run on both (or so I understand)
Kllrnohj wrote:
compiz can run on both (or so I understand)

Let me know if you get it to work. In the meantime, I've learned to follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.
proegssilb wrote:
Let me know if you get it to work. In the meantime, I've learned to follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.

haha. For me the rule is, if it isn't EXACTLY HOW YOU WANT, then consider it broke Laughing Or so I find with GNU/Linux, the sheer amount of configuration options available is mind boggling, especially after switching from WinXP (and thats ignoring the whole "you can change it in the source")

I'm not going to actually try AIGLX yet, as Compiz isn't xinerama aware, meaning I won't get much benifit from running an OpenGL powered xserver until a WM that can utilize it (like Compiz) comes out with xinerama support
Wow, look at that ricerific POS car on your background Razz

Heh, I like the GATEWAY oem logo, though Laughing

And jeez, got enough icons on your desktop? yeesh, how do you even find what you are looking for? Very Happy
zomg, name == blurred!
Anyway, yeah, low resolution, need fewer icons and things not named "blah" (Very Happy), but overall, good call.
KermMartian wrote:
zomg, name == blurred!

No, he blurred his WindowsXP CD Key - that was a good call on his part Wink

Quote:
Anyway, yeah, low resolution, need fewer icons and things not named "blah" (Very Happy), but overall, good call.

Now that you mention it, that is a low res, I just assumed it was from imageshack auto-scaling it, but yeah, what is that? 1024x768? But whats wrong with things named 'blah'!?!? Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
Wow, look at that ricerific POS car on your background Razz

Heh, I like the GATEWAY oem logo, though 0x5

And jeez, got enough icons on your desktop? yeesh, how do you even find what you are looking for? Very Happy

Laughing Nice, but thats actually a Nissan Skyline R32, which is also one of the cars that my sister Katie used and won 4-5 Drifting competitions with. Thats stock atm, but it might be the car I am getting, and may use in some drift competitions myself Very Happy

I dont like Gateway that much, it sucks horribly. But once I finnaly got finished setting up my monitor for about 30mins trying to get it to notice it, it worked pretty fine Laughing

Yes, the desktop is cluttered, and I am always cleaning it, I need a new solution, but I am lazy. 0x5
Yeah, the car is still a POS. I hate "souped up" cars - they sound like ass driving down the street. *vvrreEEEEEEMEMMEME. VREEEM. vvREErEErEEEEEEMMMM" - at thats at freaking 20 mph, ugh... I like me some good ol' american muscle. You know, something with actual POWER at less than 4,000 RPMs and will rattle windows without needing to have holes punched into the muffler Rolling Eyes

Seriously, the mufflers they put on some of these cars is ridiculous. Save the money and buy a car with real performance. No car needs a muffler as big as on some of these ricers nowadays. Hell, Ferraris and lambos don't even need an exhaust that big, and they got V-12's, no way a whimpy 4- or 6-banger needs that big of an exhaust Rolling Eyes

And I don't consider drifting to be "racing", as weight ratio is more important than power or performance
Drifting is pretty retarded; I must agree with you on that one. I don't understand why creating lots of smoke and going sideways can be called a "sport"...
KermMartian wrote:
Drifting is pretty retarded; I must agree with you on that one. I don't understand why creating lots of smoke and going sideways can be called a "sport"...

I didn't say that. I said I don't consider it racing. I love drifting Laughing Its just as much fun as burnouts and donuts. It does take skill to keep a car under control during drifiting... like rally racing Very Happy
Never actually seen drifiting, but I assume it must be like the victory lap in NASCAR.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Yeah, the car is still a POS. I hate "souped up" cars - they sound like ass driving down the street. *vvrreEEEEEEMEMMEME. VREEEM. vvREErEErEEEEEEMMMM" - at thats at freaking 20 mph, ugh... I like me some good ol' american muscle. You know, something with actual POWER at less than 4,000 RPMs and will rattle windows without needing to have holes punched into the muffler Rolling Eyes

They call them "fart pipes".

My dad and I race in the EC4WDA. My mom used to as well, but she hasn't been into it for quite a while.

"Dirt is for racing, asphalt's for getting there."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 15
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours