some18kanal0n3 wrote:
I prefer Consoles, expesially Playstation, because you don't upgrade. Lots of money saved.

Money saved in hardware, yes, but average price of an Xbox360 game is $60, whereas for the PC its $50 (with some new games, like NFS: Carbon Collectors Edition, starting even lower. NFS Carbon Collectors Edition, released yesterday, is available for PC at best buy for $30)

Consoles are also stuck at a fixed graphics level (give or take - some engines take better advantage of the hardware than others, but it is a fixed limit), whereas on the PC games can evolve and change

Quote:
Sony is actually loosing money on every PS3 sold. So them charging for some cars and tracks on GT:HD is understandable but very, very harsh.

Thats how every console has worked for a long long time. Its the old razor/razor blade model. Lose money of the razor, make it back on the razor blades. Or in the case of consoles, lose money on the hardware, make it back in royalties (games) and accessories
Got a point. ut I hate PC's, game wise, because they can't have any worms slowing them down.
Quote:
Same thing happened with the PS2; they try and release their console at as low a price as they can reasonably go so that they can get a large userbase (the manufacturing & parts for a PS2 when it first came out was estimated to be close to $300, so no profit there, but then again profit is made with games, not consoles Wink)

Quote:
Thats how every console has worked for a long long time. Its the old razor/razor blade model. Lose money of the razor, make it back on the razor blades. Or in the case of consoles, lose money on the hardware, make it back in royalties (games) and accessories

Laughing
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:
Same thing happened with the PS2; they try and release their console at as low a price as they can reasonably go so that they can get a large userbase (the manufacturing & parts for a PS2 when it first came out was estimated to be close to $300, so no profit there, but then again profit is made with games, not consoles Wink)

Quote:

0x5

Yes, I saw what you said, I was just expanding upon that so that it extended outside of just sony and the PS2 and PS3 Wink
No PS3 for me Crying

Ah well; at least I have a copy of Genji: Days of the Blade Very Happy And something interesting about Blu-Ray disks -- they're semi-translucent.
hehe, yeah, supplies were limited - some are speculating that the actual number was more like 200,000 than the 400,000 that Sony claimed. Hell, the only Target in St. Louis only got 6 of em (and only the $600 version at that, no $500 ones) Pretty pathetic compared to the Wii, of which Target has over 30 of Wink
In school today, we visited ebay just to see what PS3s were going for, and one went for over 15000 dollars... people are insane.
Shock Are you kidding me? On the same thread of insanity, people have been camping out at stores in New York for about four days now. Razz
went shopping on Wednesday at best buy (went and bought starcraft), and there were people sitting out side. Do they not realize that they are in Michigan?
rivereye wrote:
went shopping on Wednesday at best buy (went and bought starcraft), and there were people sitting out side. Do they not realize that they are in Michigan?

I think the better question is "Do they realize it's just a PS3?"
75% who were waiting in line where buying the PS3 to resell on eBay (yes, waiting in line for days is worth $3000)
I just have my Texas Instruments calculators (and some old Gameboy Originals thanks to a garage sale). They're cheap and they're useful in mathematics. And, as a bonus, they have some decent free games. I'm not much of a gamer anyway.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
75% who were waiting in line where buying the PS3 to resell on eBay (yes, waiting in line for days is worth $3000)

Sony should have just sold their entire stock exclusively on ebay. that's where most of them are ending up anyways.

Probably would have made them more money too.
But then their reputation with customers will be non-existent after that Bad Idea Bad Idea
Well, they pretty much burned that off with this launch, and they still sold them out. I'm pretty much convinced that Sony could have a commercial with Kaz just walking up to a podium with a ps3 (floating or whatever it does on those commercials) on it, essentially flip the camera the double birds with the words "Screw you gamers!!" and the release data in big flashing letters, and they would still sell every single ps3 out there. It couldn't be any worse than the crying baby ad they had for it, in fact consumers would call it edgey or something.

on another note, I stood in a wal-mart line for 10 hours to get a wii. the line started at 2pm and was full by 2:30. they had 31 wii's total vs 10 PS3's from what I was told. the guy 3 people behind me claimed to make 8000 dollars selling 3 PS3's that he waited 3 days for at a different wal-mart. the guy 5 in front of me claimed he bought 2 PS3's, put one on eBay with a buy it now for $2000 and apparently sold it in less than 15 seconds.

And yes. there was wii jokes in the crowd for about 3-4 hours.
I was in line for a Wii @ 11 p.m.
well, did you happen to get one, or were they sold out of them?
Well, I had a friend whose mom works at Target, and he said that they would open at midnight, so I showed up at 11 p.m., but it turned out that the store wasn't going to open until 8 a.m. So I left and I was going to come back at around 6-ish, but then *somebody* in my house turned off my alarm clock and I slept in Mad (Before I left at around midnight I was like #20-ish in line, so if I had stayed there for 8 more hours I would've gotten one.)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours