Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Quote:
It says the disk acts as a live cd. As long as I don't choose to install it, will it mess with any of my harddrive files? Am I (pretty much) safe with using it on the family computer? If I mess up my windows install I'm going to be in deep...

You'll be fine Wink Just be careful of when you mount and unmount your HD.

I'll need to mount and umount it? I thought Ubunto was more newbie-friendly. >_<
It'll auto-mount for you; just take note of when it does (preety much whenever you click the icon corresponding to your HD Wink)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
It'll auto-mount for you; just take note of when it does (preety much whenever you click the icon corresponding to your HD Wink)

Will I need to umount it? Oh, and one other thing. I just realized that when I used a live cd last time, I never took it out. I never booted into windows again. I ran it as a live cd for about a week, then installed it right from the live cd disk. How do you take out a live cd and still shutdown your comp? Won't the OS freeze without the cd? I would be afraid to take it out and pull the plug with my hd still mounted...
You can't take out the live cd when it's in use (unless you use the emergency eject hole)

As for unmounting...it should unmount itself when you shutdown...but obviously don't shutdown when you're manipulating files Wink
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
You can't take out the live cd when it's in use (unless you use the emergency eject hole)

As for unmounting...it should unmount itself when you shutdown...but obviously don't shutdown when you're manipulating files Wink

Then how do I get the disk out? It will boot right into linux again next time I turn on the comp...
No, when it halts the operating system it pops out the CD and tells you to remove it, close the tray (if any) and press enter. Then it shuts down.
The Tari wrote:
No, when it halts the operating system it pops out the CD and tells you to remove it, close the tray (if any) and press enter. Then it shuts down.

Oh, cool. They really must have made it newbie-friendly Smile
yeah, with Ubuntu, if you leave it in, you have the option to boot to first HD anyways, so it is not a problem.
rivereye wrote:
yeah, with Ubuntu, if you leave it in, you have the option to boot to first HD anyways, so it is not a problem.

Excellent. I love geek forums. Everyone is so nice when converting someone to open-source software Smile Thanks, guys!
I'm glad my "success" is inspiring many of you to attempt similar feats, but keep in mind that I have not succeeded yet. I still have to satisfy all of there needs in linux by the end of the month and hope that they still want to use it.

Reminder to myself: One month will be October 16
i know but keep us informed, i still think i might try it, with the grandparents
gscm wrote:
i know but keep us informed, i still think i might try it, with the grandparents

that'll be easy, just get a windows-XP style X WM (there is one, but I've never used it), and make the FireFox icon be the big-blue IE logo, and they'll never be the wiser :shifty:
yeah they will, the comp he had only a year or 2 ago was in a case from the time of true floppy disks, and even had the motherboard upgraded i believe, so he would notice.
Update 9/17/06: Today I was gone for most of the day. When I came back my family was doing fine with Ubuntu, but they had two complaints. The printer wasn't working, and they couldn't view a certain web page properly. The latter I fix by manually installing macromedia flash (the automatic failed - methinks it was because FF wasn't launch as root? or with enough permissions?). The former was fixed by simply going into System-Adminstration-Printers.

They were impressed by how fast and efficient Ubuntu was able to interact with the printer. In XP, we had to install this cd with the necessary drivers for it to work. In linux, it searched an online database, and downloaded and installed automatically. Now that's the mark of a good OS.

Otherwise things are going good. The computer seems a little sluggish because my siblings are refusing to log out of their accounts and instead they switch users to keep their programs running and tying up the CPU in that computer. This probably wouldn't be a problem if that computer wasn't as old and slow as it is.

/me thinks that this topic is greatly increasing his words/post ratio
Excellent, I'm glad they're taking this in stride and in fact embracing it. It occured to me that perhaps you should write this up as a formal article when your experiment is complete and submit it to something-or-other...
yeah, i would like an article on what to do or what not to do depending on weather it works, and i love that people are switching to linux.
*whether
I was thinking it might be an interesting human nature article, a firsthand account of the reactions of Windowz users when first confronted with *nix.
Im in charge of computer club this year at my school and for our first meeting Im teaching people how to installubuntu
Interesting, how's that going? Did you have the free CDs to distribute?
KermMartian wrote:
Interesting, how's that going? Did you have the free CDs to distribute?

first meeting is friday, Im gonna burn 3 CDs (our school has some older computers that I can do whatever I want to) and have several installations going and have one group at each computer. anybody who wants a CD for themselves can pay me 25 cents for one Ive already burned (my CDs,,,) or order a free one or burn one themself

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours