After reading a few articles online discussing how all sorts of people can easily convert from windows to linux--even elderly people--I've decided to give it a shot in my house. My first choice for this is Ubuntu because I have it running on my own computer, and I have found it to be very easy and intuitive; however, I'm also considering Mandriva, Kubuntu, and FC5 mainly because I'd like to gain experience outside of just one distribution.

It's important to note that I intend to dual-boot the computer so that they can aquaint themselves with Linux bit by bit using windows as a crutch, but ultimately converting fully. For their uses, Linux will be absolutely perfect.

I've created this thread to post a daily log of how the family reacts and if it does become a success. I'll continue to give updates until either the family accepts their knew system or I get grounded or something for trying to show them a new path.

With that said, feel free to post comments, suggestions - especially those pertaining to what flavor I should put on it.

Update: The disk drive in that computer just ripped some sticker my sister had on a cd off and started making weird noises. Apparently, she shutoff the surge protecter in a panic, and now Windows won't boot. My dad got this computer from work, and we don't have a recovery console or an install disk. Time for me to suggest Ubuntu. This is extremely lucky because I just found all of this out, after I went downstairs after typing up this article.
Well, if you're trying to convert from Windows and teach everyone else, I'd say get Kubuntu and also install Gnome for if/when anyone feels like they want to use it. KDE is pretty similar to the windoze GUI, so it shouldn't be that hard. Probably the hardest thing to get them used to is the filesystem. Smile
Yeah, I would concur with the Kubuntu suggestion. The interface is clean and friendly to Windows users.
The Tari wrote:
Well, if you're trying to convert from Windows and teach everyone else, I'd say get Kubuntu and also install Gnome for if/when anyone feels like they want to use it. KDE is pretty similar to the windoze GUI, so it shouldn't be that hard. Probably the hardest thing to get them used to is the filesystem. Smile

Agreed, except for the package manager... Install Synaptic; I never got adept to work without frequent crashes.
Adept seems extremely buggy, and Apt doesn't have a good GUI.
KermMartian wrote:
Adept seems extremely buggy, and Apt doesn't have a good GUI.

synaptic is graphical frontend for apt anyway....
Synaptic is installed I think anyways on Dapper Drake. I prefer the GNOME interface actually, but that is me (and I am a Windows user).
I also prefer GNOME, but I would also suggest checking out Suse 10.1. It is supposed to be very easy for windows users to transition to it
Tonight's update: Ability to boot into windows was recovered; family incentive to move to linux highly lessened. Issue was proposed to mom, but final permission had to come from dad. Because he came home from work in a bad move, I decided that I shouldn't bring it up tonight. I will push for it again tomorrow night under the platform that if windows decides not to boot again, we can recover all files via the linux installation (as I had to do on my own computer). Hopefully this will pass, and I can get it on the computer tomorrow. Then I will gradually suggest it as an easy way to check email, IM, play music, and word process.

I like GNOME myself. I'll look into Suse. I've already downloaded copies of FC6 and Mandriva along with my Ubuntu disk. I'll try the live cd of each (not sure if FC6 has a live cd) and decide on a winner that way.
be sure to ask your parents which they like the best Wink
i like the idea you have here, and if my parents were not so heavly(sp?) tied to windows due to work, finances, and other things i would do the same, maybe i should push for my grandpa to though, he is not so heavly(sp?) tied to windows.
gscm wrote:
i like the idea you have here, and if my parents were not so heavly(sp?) tied to windows due to work, finances, and other things i would do the same, maybe i should push for my grandpa to though, he is not so heavly(sp?) tied to windows.

I tried, but it didn't really work to well at my house Rolling Eyes

Oh yeah, heavily

P.S. Just wondering whether you read the pluto topic?
i did not, and my grandp is the only comp user in his house, so it might be easier, but he is on dialup, and a pentium 3 so he might have issues stemming from that
Just a thought, to provide even more incentive to use Linux, try out Ubuntu Edgy Knot 2. The incentive I speak of is much faster boot and shutdown times, although you may not want to have the family using beta software.
gscm wrote:
i did not, and my grandp is the only comp user in his house, so it might be easier, but he is on dialup, and a pentium 3 so he might have issues stemming from that

my pentium 2 can handle Linux, and dialup is a lot easier to configure then Wireless, although not nearly as easy as ethernet, but its about the same ease level as on windows, so no worries.
Yeah, but downloading updates will be murder.
The Tari wrote:
Yeah, but downloading updates will be murder.

thats true with XP as well Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
gscm wrote:

my pentium 2 can handle Linux, and dialup is a lot easier to configure then Wireless, although not nearly as easy as ethernet, but its about the same ease level as on windows, so no worries.
As can mine (*cough* Cemetech-0 *cough*), but I'm running it GUIless, It could do a GUI fine, but opening more than Terminal and Firefox caused substantial slowdowns.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
gscm wrote:

As can mine (*cough* Cemetech-0 *cough*), but I'm running it GUIless, It could do a GUI fine, but opening more than Terminal and Firefox caused substantial slowdowns.

yeah, I boot into my GNOME desktop then ctrl-alt-f1 if Im not watching a movie or anything (my P2 has dvd drive and a cd burner....my p3 doesn't)
Update 9/12/06 Ubuntu was decided to be the best option after displaying Ubuntu, Mandriva, Kubuntu, and Suse. The main reason was because I had experience before. I'm thinking of changing the distro on my computer, though. Unfortunately, the BIOS on that computer only detects keyboards that are plugged into the keyboard serial port as opposed to usb ports (which the main keyboard for that computer is). So, I had to rummage around in my basement for an old serial port Keyboard to use just to select the OS in grub, and then use the other keyboard for everything else. After a successfull installation, I editted the menu list so that it will boot into windows if the user doesn't press anything for 5 seconds.

So far I have avoided telling my family about the new operating system, waiting for the best time to do it. If all goes well, I will unveil it this weekend and hopefully get them to fool around with it. I made shortcuts to all the Open Office programs, Firefox, and GAIM on the desktop.

I need some suggestions for a linux Itunes like program. It needs to be able to tranfer songs to the ipod as well as play them in a decent GUI. Also, I'm having problems mounting my Windows partition in Ubuntu. With my first linux install, Kllrnohj set it up for me. Perhaps you can give me specific instructions as to what to do.

Lastly, I'm going to put together a list of reasons why they should use Ubuntu instead of Windows to help convince them to give up their stubborn Windows' habits. Here's what I'm thinking so far, please help me add to it:

1. Free and constantly maintained and updated by a community of dedicated programmers that use and take pride in their program.
2. Much much much more stable than Windows.
3. Comes with a slew of free open source programs that are maintained as well as the operating system and are available with just a couple of clicks.
4. The Gnome GUI is comparable to Explorer, and I'm sure that they can learn to use it and love it.
5. Free of viri, malware, spyware, adware, etc..
6. Cooler than Windows.
7. Large community available for help.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours