I have been working on a Pokemon game for the past few months. I finally got it to a playable state.

It is written in C.

The project's code is mostly done. Now I need to work on bug fixes and map design. Right now I have one gym done, but I have barely tested it.

I also want to try to reduce the size of the game. Currently it uses 125kb of RAM and has 14 files for sprite data. If anyone has suggestions on how I could do this please let me know.

Source Code and files to put on your calculator
https://github.com/fbdajh/Calculatormon-CE

I also included the map editor I made in the tools folder.

https://youtu.be/L5fnRDz6VS8
That is amazing! Great work! It looks very close to the original game!

What language is it written in? (I think it's C)

Also, I don't think there's much you can do about the size. A game like pokemon red put on the calculator and played with TI-Boy is already many thousands of bytes, but they are in archive. If your game can be played with the files in archive, it would be much better.
This is freaking amazing. I love the graphics.

By the way, have you added compression to the sprites yet? And are you using RLET sprites?

EDIT: Just looked at your convpng.ini, by the way rather than enumarating every sprite ("pokemon/backs/cb83.png" for example), you can just type "pokemon/backs/*" to include all pngs in that directory easily.
Fantastic job, you're the first person I've seen who made their first post about a highly-wanted game like this and had a feasible program already made! Very Happy
You've obviously got a lot of experience in programming, please introduce yourself!
MateoConLechuga wrote:

By the way, have you added compression to the sprites yet? And are you using RLET sprites?

I am using not using RLET and they are not compressed. I will try compression as soon as I can.
fbdajh wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

I am using not using RLET and they are not compressed. I will try compression as soon as I can.

RLET + compressed sprites should greatly reduce the size of your sprite data.

Where is the other space taken up by the program coming from?
jcgter777 wrote:
That is amazing! Great work! It looks very close to the original game!

What language is it written in? (I think it's C)

Also, I don't think there's much you can do about the size. A game like pokemon red put on the calculator and played with TI-Boy is already many thousands of bytes, but they are in archive. If your game can be played with the files in archive, it would be much better.

Most of the sprites are already in the archive. I have to keep the current tilemap on the RAM or it runs too slowly (I have an indoor and outdoor one).

How can I create a file containing the map data that I can store on the archive?
fbdajh wrote:
How can I create a file containing the map data that I can store on the archive?

If you can convert your map data to a raw binary (.bin) file, you can use convhex (which is a part of the toolchain) and the following command to convert the binary file to an appvar:

Code:
convhex -av file.bin APPVAR.8xv
MateoConLechuga wrote:
fbdajh wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

RLET + compressed sprites should greatly reduce the size of your sprite data.

Where is the other space taken up by the program coming from?

Most of it is just from the code. I am planning to move map data to an archive file because it takes up 20kb right now.
Wow. This is awesome! Great job on it so far! Very Happy
MateoConLechuga wrote:
fbdajh wrote:

If you can convert your map data to a raw binary (.bin) file, you can use convhex (which is a part of the toolchain) and the following command to convert the binary file to an appvar:

Code:
convhex -av file.bin APPVAR.8xv

In addition, I just released an update to convtile that allows you to export multiple CSV data files to a .bin file. Don't know if you would find this useful, but here it is anyway: https://github.com/mateoconlechuga/convtile/releases/latest
Looks great! And so far along too Smile.

Love Pokemon, as many do here, so there is sure to be a lot of interest to spurn you along Smile.
I finished school last week so now I should have much more time to work on this. I have done a few things in the past two months.

Most sprites are now compressed so the game has only 11 files instead of 14. I do not know exactly how much ram is required now but it is definitely less.

I also added some improved graphics for battle and menu screens.
https://imgur.com/gallery/GNqtwUE

I underestimated how much I still needed to do. There is a lot I still need to work on, such as a better save selection screen, a better introduction, fixing a few moves that I never fully programmed, and a lot of other things that I don't remember right now.
That is looking AWESOME! Good luck!

It looks a lot better than the original pokemon GameBoy games emulated on calculator.
Neato Smile I'm not sure about the following line, why aren't you just using gfx_TransparentSprite()?

https://github.com/fbdajh/Calculatormon-CE/blob/master/src/map.c#L391
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Neato Smile I'm not sure about the following line, why aren't you just using gfx_TransparentSprite()?

https://github.com/fbdajh/Calculatormon-CE/blob/master/src/map.c#L391

I don't remember why I did it that way. gfx_TransparentSprite() should work so I will switch to that.
wow! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This looks awesome! Nice progress on the game so far and good luck on the rest of this huge project!
That looks epic! Is it still in progress though?
Argus wrote:
That looks epic! Is it still in progress though?

I am still working on it, but everything takes a lot of time and I am busy because of school. I will probably post another update in a week or two.
I have spent a lot of time recently working on this game. Here are the major features I have added:
    ▪Cut, strength, and surf are now usable in the overworld.
    ▪I can have multiple tilemaps and switch them out in different areas. I only have enough ram for a 16 x 8 tilemap so this helps the world seem more diverse.
    ▪The player can run by holding alpha.
    ▪New graphics for the shop and pc.
    ▪General improvements for trainers. They can move around and have different appearances.
    ▪The player and trainers have an animation when walking through grass.
    ▪A new map. Currently I have made the starting area with a lab where you can choose a Pokemon.
    ▪Text doesn't go to a new line in the middle of words anymore. Trainers can also say something after they are defeated.

I think I have added most of the features I want in the game, but I also said that 4 months ago so I am not sure. I am going to start working on map design unless I think of anything else to add.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours