For some reason, certain games cannot connect across our lan.
    Doom (all of them, just say connecting, used to freeze Xp computer)
    Hexen 2 (sits there saying "Connecting...", if it actually connects, begins lagging and then freezes(Xp host))
    Tribes 2 (only the 98 computer can host)
    Dungeon Keeper (Unable to initialise IPX)
    Might and Magic 3 (Only TCP/IP works, IPX gives same error as DK)

When we tried using Ping, it said "Host unreachable". Yet windows networking works. We tried turning off our firewalls, but it still happens.

Most of our other games work though. What would cause this?
try IP addresses instead of hostnames for games (NT5 (2k/XP) uses DNS while most others use WINS). You may also want to enabling WINS on the XP machine.
We've been using Ip's.

EDIT: What's WINS?
ok, you are usind TCP/IP on the 98SE machine I am assuming (can it surf the internet?).

Otherwise, have both computers ping your router.

WINS is similar to DNS, but only older Windows machines really use it. DNS is far superior.
No router, crossover cables. Also, were using static assigned IP's for network. Tcp/Ip, IPX, NetBeui are enabled for Lan adapters. (We got that from a tutorial)
You're sure IPX is enabled? Because those sound like IPX-disability problems to me.\
Do you have IPX/SPX, or is it NWLink you are using?
IPX is definately enabled, some IPX games work, while others don't. Tribes 1 shows IPX servers but can't join them. (Freezes host when client load bar reaches full).
Argh, that's frustrating. Sad I can't think of any specific solutions; let's see if Kllrnohj has anything to add.
It's almost like something is blocking traffic. But Komodo and Windows firewall are disabled and I'm sure we don't have any viruses.
You could try the old standby of updating everything (such as network card drivers), and not use windows 98....
Are you at least using the Second Edition of Windows 98? (Win98SE)?
Everything is updated. Also, why buy XP for a Pentium 2?

It's running 98SE.
I have heard that 98/SE is not all that... network friendly, so to say. You might try to update to ME, or better yet, to 2000. Just try to find a friend that works on computers, they should have the disks...
Ugh, ME? That's even worse. If you have to pick one of the two, go with 2000.
I have heard nothing good about 2000 or ME.
Well, if it is running 98SE which means it is kind of old, I would go with 2000. I have installed it and ran network games on a 233. It worked great(well, it was kind of slow booting, but Win2k on a 233?!)
I don't even know anyone with 2000 to get it from.
what about binding order? For example, if you are doing a lot of IPX/SPX stuff, you should have NWLink on the binding order over TCP/IP, and you really shouldn't need NetBEUI (only Windows uses it).

Btw, 2K is one of the better MS Oses out there.
Bombu wrote:
I have heard nothing good about 2000 or ME.

Well, 2k is the best OS, and I have not had too many problems with it.

Also, ME == 98SE, but adds better support for plug and play. So don't kill me for suggesting it. I updated from 98SE to ME on an old laptop, and it works great now, with less problems than when it had 98SE on it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours