Or down to Florida. It's a lot better here. The winter is great and it doesn't get too hot in the summer. Technically, winter is the dry season and summer is the wet season so the rains keep us cool. In between rain, there's the pool, the beach, waterparks, central air, etc.
I have a small pad i put my laptop on, and it's got two 1500RPM fans on it... so they blow cool air onto the bottom of my laptop, and the whole thing stays cool...

of course, we have AC too, but we keep it on like 80 cuz the electricity bills are outrageous...
KermMartian wrote:
Done it already - the screensaver went insane for a few dozen seconds, then it crashed. I put the dry ice straight onto the CPU's die though, so maybe it got a bit too cold?

"too cold"? No. But did the whole "condensation" thing temporarily escape you? When you use dry ice to cool your system, you first build an insulated container that sits on the CPU (a piece of copper is why physically seperates the CPU from the dry ice container. You must also "prep" the socket by sealing it, so that water can't get in. It is much harder than just "place dry ice on the CPU" Razz
You can do the same sort of thing with liquid nitrogen (get ice crystals on components), or you could actually use some sort of oil and submerge everything in it to cool it (it's been done and works pretty well).
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Done it already - the screensaver went insane for a few dozen seconds, then it crashed. I put the dry ice straight onto the CPU's die though, so maybe it got a bit too cold?

"too cold"? No. But did the whole "condensation" thing temporarily escape you? When you use dry ice to cool your system, you first build an insulated container that sits on the CPU (a piece of copper is why physically seperates the CPU from the dry ice container. You must also "prep" the socket by sealing it, so that water can't get in. It is much harder than just "place dry ice on the CPU" Razz
Negatory. Apparently someone doesn't recall that Compaqs have a concave metal sheet on top of the cpu. And as for liquid CO2, it sublimes instead of melts.
KermMartian wrote:
Negatory. Apparently someone doesn't recall that Compaqs have a concave metal sheet on top of the cpu. And as for liquid CO2, it sublimes instead of melts.

The metal between the CPU and the dry ice is purely so that the dry ice can just sit there, without someone needing to hold it Wink Liquid CO2 I haven't seen, but liquid nitrogen works very well Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours