well today it was hot, im talking hope your don't cook your hard drive hot. Well i have been downloading a file that is 8.20gb's and so far i have only done 5gb, which got me thinking how the hell do i keep my computer from over heating. Right now i have fans blowing on it and i lower my sreen so that wouldn't over heat (im on a notebook so when that gets hot everything does)

So what do you guys do to keep out of hte heat and still keep posting on Cemetechv(or on your computer, i just assumed that even the heat couldn't keep this swingin place down)
well, depending on the nightly temps, usually open Windows at night, and close them in the morning, if cool enough, don't have to run the AC.
I have an A/C unit in my room; instead of cooling the case, I just cool the whole room Laughing
Central air Very Happy
I have an ac to, but i can't run it to long... besides the fact its not good for the ac to be on 24/7, im on long island were we have to watch how much power we use.. we don't want all of long island having a black out.. im sure the people in austoria queens would be really pissed Razz
When I get my own place, I'm getting solar panels. Free electricity and I can feel good about doing my part towards stemming global warming.
Thermoman wrote:
well today it was hot, im talking hope your don't cook your hard drive hot. Well i have been downloading a file that is 8.20gb's and so far i have only done 5gb, which got me thinking how the hell do i keep my computer from over heating. Right now i have fans blowing on it and i lower my sreen so that wouldn't over heat (im on a notebook so when that gets hot everything does)

So what do you guys do to keep out of hte heat and still keep posting on Cemetechv(or on your computer, i just assumed that even the heat couldn't keep this swingin place down)
I had to hibernate my computer on my way home instead of leaving it running to autoassociate so that it wouldn't overheat. Luckily my apt has some good AC, so I'm staying inside as much as possible. Thermo and I are near each other, so we were basically in the same boat today.
we live in Vermont, but still it made it up 95 today Neutral
My top top three 'ghetto' ways of cooling your PC:

- Install one of those cd-sized table fans inside your PC.
- Get a mini-fridge and put your CPU in there.
- Take a closable, non-drip bag and fill it full of ice, then put it over your CPU. Optionally place a fan towards the cpu for a better cooling results.
pyro_xp2k wrote:

- Take a closable, non-drip bag and fill it full of ice, then put it over your CPU. Optionally place a fan towards the cpu for a better cooling results.

I've heard dry ice works well

*winks at Kerm*
elfprince13 wrote:
pyro_xp2k wrote:

I've heard dry ice works well

*winks at Kerm*
Hehe, that it does. My PC has efficient enough cooling that it does ok, as long as there's sufficient airspace for it to pull air through the case.
yeah, as does do mine. If fact, I leave the outercase of my comp off to help with the airflow (that, and I hate the look of the thing).
rivereye wrote:
yeah, as does do mine. If fact, I leave the outercase of my comp off to help with the airflow (that, and I hate the look of the thing).
Mm, see, I don't do that because mine is a laptop. Wink A tablet, in fact.
pyro_xp2k wrote:

120m fans (~cd size) are actually a common sized fan for computers. They pump lotsa air with minimal noise - I have two and I am planning to add a 3rd.

Quote:

Won't work. Refridgerators CANNOT run continously. So if you put your comp in there, you will kill your fridge really, really quickly. However, they do make something similar to how a fridge works, but "bolts" straight to your CPU ( http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?showPage=startside.asp&param=sideid&myvalue=14&contentSection=2&menuID=-1 )

Quote:

Again, won't work. The ice wouldn't last long, and the condensation would kill your PC asap. Dry ice, however, works insanely well. Think CPU temps of -100C Smile

@Thermo: If you aren't dead, your computer won't overheat Wink (CPUs will survive into the 60C-70C range with no problems. You will be long dead by that time - well, assuming its a decent HSF anyway Laughing )
Kllrnohj wrote:

Quote:

Again, won't work. The ice wouldn't last long, and the condensation would kill your PC asap. Dry ice, however, works insanely well. Think CPU temps of -100C Smile
Done it already - the screensaver went insane for a few dozen seconds, then it crashed. I put the dry ice straight onto the CPU's die though, so maybe it got a bit too cold?
lol i made my screen turn off after 1 min of inactive use, i found that and the 24/7 fan hovering over my keyboard most effective.
Shock Why, does your screen generate a lot of heat or something? My case gets warm around the CPU area, but everything else stays pretty cool, including the LCD.
yeah, the front of my laptop can get warm (where the RAM, Battery, and HD are, I think the CPU might be there also), but everything else in both comps doesn't get really warm at all.
Chipmaster wrote:
Central air Very Happy

I don't know what I would do without central air. Well, I do know. I would go to the beach and get some good exercise instead of sitting in front of the computer all day trying to prevent it from overheating. Very Happy There's a lot of other ways to keep cool down here. Probably why all the senior citizens retire in Florida.
something1990 wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:
Central air Very Happy

I don't know what I would do without central air. Well, I do know. I would go to the beach and get some good exercise instead of sitting in front of the computer all day trying to prevent it from overheating. Very Happy There's a lot of other ways to keep cool down here. Probably why all the senior citizens retire in Florida.

If they want to stay cool they should all move up to Canada Rolling Eyes .

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours