should we start a podcast
yes
 33%  [ 4 ]
no
 16%  [ 2 ]
don't care
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

true, the speed you see is your download. I say use Cemetech-0 or something for hosting.
you are way off on my speed man, i have 2 Mbs up and 10 Mbs down, so with 4 downloads at a time, i would have .5 Mbs per second each
and, if 100 people download in a week that is unlikely that 4 will all download at once.

and rivereye almost compleatly true, in a speed test you can see either
gscm wrote:
you are way off on my speed man, i have 2 Mbs up and 10 Mbs down, so with 4 downloads at a time, i would have .5 Mbs per second each

Fine, thats still only 64KB/sec. I'd go crazy if I was downloading at a mere 64KB/sec Smile (and thats only with your estimated 4 at a time. Imagine a new release during peak...) Expand that just one person to 5 and the whole thing slows down to 50KB/sec. Like I said, your home line ain't as good at server use as you think it is.

EDIT: Oh, and thats with the unrealistic assumptions that 1) You're getting all the bandwidth your ISP is promising, 2) there is 0 overhead, and 3) that you aren't using your internet at all for anything else (including downloading/web surfing)

And use that little button labeled "edit" rather than double-posting Mad
yes, double should only been after 24 hours of inactivity. I did fix it, but please don't make a mods job anyharder then it has to be.
sorry about the double post, and i used a speed test, not what they promised for those stats on the connection, and surfing only messes with download, it uses almost no upload, and as for overhead, with a speed test, that should have been included, and this would be a fast enough pc to handle the load
yeah, but can you give us 90% uptime, and a decent connection. Relize, I groan when my DL speeds dip below 150KB/s (according to FF), and even before that, I might start complaining (I know, I am spolied).
yes i think i can give up to 99% up time once i get a month under my belt, and i can give a fairly good speed, or we could use my server for the most recent one, and my home server for the old ones, that would give really fast for the new ones and a ok connection for backlogged data, and i have a ups so even in a power outage i might be able to host, at least during a short one
gscm wrote:
sorry about the double post, and i used a speed test, not what they promised for those stats on the connection, and surfing only messes with download, it uses almost no upload, and as for overhead, with a speed test, that should have been included, and this would be a fast enough pc to handle the load

Ah, there you are wrong. Any downloading does use upstream, and quite a fair amount too (more than you'd think, anyway). Also, if you are maxing your upstream (and lets face it, that'll only take one person downloading to do), it will DRASTICALLY slow down your downstream too, as your computer must wait to get out the ACK packets.

But why do you want to host it so bad? It'll drag down your internet connection and force you to leave another computer on all the time. Kerm's already got both a webhost AND his own server. Hell, I could host it on my 100GB/month web server. Can you compete with that?
Have I ever mentioned that C-0 is on THREE independent T-3 lines from different ISPS? Which is well over 100 MBPS, more than sufficient even when it's shared.
I'll go with that, home servers are fine for small thing, but not for production really.
KermMartian wrote:
Have I ever mentioned that C-0 is on THREE independent T-3 lines from different ISPS? Which is well over 100 MBPS, more than sufficient even when it's shared.

I think I did mention something about C-0 and T3s earlier, but gscm kept pushing for his home line.... Oh, and yes, you have mentioned that. Many times Smile
rivereye wrote:
I'll go with that, home servers are fine for small thing, but not for production really.
Indeed, especially with the unreliability of a home connection's IP stasis. I know for a fact that C-0's IP isn't going to change any time soon.
another thing, yeah. You can get static IPs from some compainies (I know the phone company that can't make up their mind on who to call themselves does infact sell them).
i was really pushing my home server for backlogged ones, but my webhost for new ones, and how much diskspace do you have, i would have at least 5 GB with a home server, we might even split it up, put a new show on one persons the one before that on anougther server, and backlogged ones on a home server, with backup ups on connection and server
rivereye wrote:
yeah, but can you give us 90% uptime, and a decent connection. Relize, I groan when my DL speeds dip below 150KB/s (according to FF), and even before that, I might start complaining (I know, I am spolied).

*gasp* I wish i had that >.< . Bellsouth is really slow even with dsl (some sites i get a really high start dl then it sinks down to 90-120 or less). I hope we do decide to get a cable connection.
gscm wrote:
i was really pushing my home server for backlogged ones, but my webhost for new ones, and how much diskspace do you have, i would have at least 5 GB with a home server, we might even split it up, put a new show on one persons the one before that on anougther server, and backlogged ones on a home server, with backup ups on connection and server
I have 120GB on my main server and another half-terrabyte mapped to it from other servers in my home cluster. Cool
KermMartian wrote:
gscm wrote:
I have 120GB on my main server and another half-terrabyte mapped to it from other servers in my home cluster. Cool

Your plans are getting destroyed gscm, 0x5. I would much rather have Kerm host it, besides, why do you still want to host it?!?!
i want to at least host the backlog (ones more than a month old)
Kerm can host the new ones is that agreable
EDIT: and i still could do audio editing
that might be alright, but why are you so gung ho on it. How about hosting something else of use for the community there?
gscm wrote:
i want to at least host the backlog (ones more than a month old)
Kerm can host the new ones is that agreable
EDIT: and i still could do audio editing
How about this, you do the audio editing and mirror all the episodes?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours