Would you be interested by the program described above?
Yes
 17%  [ 5 ]
No
 82%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 28

You'll need more than TI-Basic to complete most projects of this caliber. Definately spend some time learning ICE, Asm, and C before trying to tackle it.
The fact also remains that you will need to publicize and prove your encryption meets the industry standard before the (I believe it's FCC) approves your app for use and people trust it. Industry standard includes: SHA-1, AES (128 bits and higher), TDES (minimum double-length keys), RSA (1024 bits and higher), ECC (160 bits and higher), and ElGamal (1024 bits and higher). If you're not using this to encrypt data, you're not secure enough. It also follows that a calculator simply does not have the requisite processing power to encrypt/decrypt encryption of those types

Also, please watch the caps and the profanity. Even obfuscating words is still profane, when we have a large variety of age groups in the forums.
coolcrab123 wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
Do you have a background in programming in general? As in, any language? Or are you just starting out?

I have become pretty "good" at TIbasic during the year i've had a CE, IF P_T HAD TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS A WHOLE FILE THAT EXPLAINED COMMANDS IN ICE, I WOULD HAVE LEARNED ICE IN THE LAST 3 DAYS, Any way im planning on learning ASM after I FINALLY FIGURE OUT ICE, and then C or Python

It might be best to abandon this project for now, then start it back over once you have gained some programming knowledge.

I recommend starting with JavaScript or Python, then progressing to C.
ICE is a bit like C, but IMHO C requires some basic understanding of programming concepts to learn.

I think PT_ is not at fault here.
The file 'commands.html' is pretty well named. Whenever you start a language, it's best to look for all possible sources of original documentation. They are immensely helpful.

I also recommend not spamming in FULL CAPS. It's extremely annoying, and you were banned from SAX partially because of it.

Edit:
For posterity, coolcrab123 changed the topic of this program.

He initially had it be a credit card program, where you could import credit card info or something, but he changed it to "promotional cards"
Hey I've got this nifty old graphing calculator here, why don't I just pull this thing out and pay with it and I'll totally look COMPLETELY normal and unsuspicious
amazonka wrote:
I didn’t manage to find the calc id project here - could someone point me to that please

it has been canceled for now
Don't feel led down, just because this project didn't work.
Usually life is the best source of projects Wink
Muessigb wrote:
Don't feel led down, just because this project didn't work.
Usually life is the best source of projects Wink

i said that calc id has been canceled, not this one
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I recommend starting with JavaScript or Python, then progressing to C.
ICE is a bit like C, but IMHO C requires some basic understanding of programming concepts to learn.

If I had to pick a language from iPhoenix'es list, I would probably go for Python.
I never really got along well with JavaScript and I quite frankly just don't like it for it's API.
What i need right now is program that can convert PNG to a sprite that actually works...
BTW for all of you who say it's not possible:
Wikipedia Quote:

"QR codes can be used to store bank account information or credit card information, or they can be specifically designed to work with particular payment provider applications. There are several trial applications of QR code payments across the world.[28][29]
QR codes are commonly used in the field of cryptographic currencies, particularly those based on and including Bitcoin.[31] Payment addresses, cryptographic keys and transaction information are often shared between digital wallets in this way.[32]"
coolcrab123 wrote:
What i need right now is program that can convert PNG to a sprite that actually works...

ConvPNG does that.
I have written a Bitcoin wallet program (which generates the keys and displays the relevant QR codes), it's pretty slow but shows that the cryptographic algorithms (I've ported most of those from other libraries) can be actually implemented on the calculator.
SopaXorzTaker wrote:
I have written a Bitcoin wallet program (which generates the keys and displays the relevant QR codes), it's pretty slow but shows that the cryptographic algorithms (I've ported most of those from other libraries) can be actually implemented on the calculator.

Yes, i have seen it, it crashed my calc tho, btw, i will message u about a potential offer...
mr womp womp wrote:
coolcrab123 wrote:

ConvPNG does that.

i dont know why but convpng doesnt work for me..
If you have a problem with ConvPNG, ask it here. We can help Smile

EDIT: Not here Razz In the convPNG thread Wink

TLM++ and muessigb++
1. Please stop double posting, the 'edit' button is there for a reason. Wink
2. Capitalize your "I"s. For my sanity. Razz
3. You should post in the convPNG thread what's not working. A common mistake people (including me at first) make with convPNG is we double click the .exe expecting a GUI to pop up. There is no GUI for convPNG, you need to read the ReadMe to see how to properly use this.

EDIT:
Quote:
Examples of Community Support:

Yes
10% [ 2 ]
No
89% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 19

You put the poll there to get our answer, you can't blame community support on what we thought was an honest question. Smile
ACagliano wrote:
Also, please watch the caps and the profanity. Even obfuscating words is still profane, when we have a large variety of age groups in the forums.

You know, nobody is taking you, coolcrab, serious for being rude here.
It's clear from your questions and projects that you are not very experienced and generally quite young.
If you wish to receive community support then treat them nice. We are usually all very supportive towards newbies if they ask nicely. Wink
coolcrab123 wrote:
SopaXorzTaker wrote:

Yes, i have seen it, it crashed my calc tho, btw, i will message u about a potential offer...

Well, did the calc appear to hang up?
It's actually working, but is very, very slow so you'll have to be patient and wait about 15 minutes while it's calculating the public key...
TheLastMillennial wrote:
1. Please stop double posting, the 'edit' button is there for a reason. Wink
2. Capitalize your "I"s. For my sanity. Razz
3. You should post in the convPNG thread what's not working. A common mistake people (including me at first) make with convPNG is we double click the .exe expecting a GUI to pop up. There is no GUI for convPNG, you need to read the ReadMe to see how to properly use this.

EDIT:
Quote:

Yes
10% [ 2 ]
No
89% [ 17 ]

You put the poll there to get our answer, you can't blame community support on what we thought was an honest question. Smile

Not only your "I"s. Please properly form all your posts. write out "u", and avoid all caps. I could be younger than all of you Wink 7th grade
ACagliano wrote:
You'll need more than TI-Basic to complete most projects of this caliber. Definately spend some time learning ICE, Asm, and C before trying to tackle it.
The fact also remains that you will need to publicize and prove your encryption meets the industry standard before the (I believe it's FCC) approves your app for use and people trust it. Industry standard includes: SHA-1, AES (128 bits and higher), TDES (minimum double-length keys), RSA (1024 bits and higher), ECC (160 bits and higher), and ElGamal (1024 bits and higher). If you're not using this to encrypt data, you're not secure enough. It also follows that a calculator simply does not have the requisite processing power to encrypt/decrypt encryption of those types

Well, my Bitcoin "cold wallet" (can't yet sign transactions) implementation uses the uECC library for secp256k1 operations and takes about 15 minutes to compute the public key from a private one (on a TI-84+CE).
It's slow, but certainly possible.
TheLastMillennial wrote:

EDIT:
Quote:

Yes
10% [ 2 ]
No
89% [ 17 ]

Bud, the first thing you need to learn when becoming a developer is that consumer feedback is not criticism or lack of support, it's intended to help you become better. Part of the skill of developing software is to understand what the community you are targeting wants. And also, do not ask a question if you do not want or are going to be insulted by the feedback of the community. I voted no on this poll because I see your potential and creativity wasted on a project that will not really be appreciated or used on a calculator. I didn't vote no to not be supportive. Quite to the contrary, there is more support in telling it how it is and suggesting better alternatives than simply agreeing with something.
That being said, all this poll is is user's opinions. Feel free to prove us wrong about it. Many of the programs and apps I use today I would never have thought would go anywhere years ago. Just please understand that in the field of information security, you have required standards of security and you accept liability for people using your system and my personal reason for voting no was to inspire you to think about those things differently.
ACagliano wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:

EDIT:
Quote:

Yes
10% [ 2 ]
No
89% [ 17 ]

Bud, the first thing you need to learn when becoming a developer is that consumer feedback is not criticism or lack of support, it's intended to help you become better. Part of the skill of developing software is to understand what the community you are targeting wants. And also, do not ask a question if you do not want or are going to be insulted by the feedback of the community. I voted no on this poll because I see your potential and creativity wasted on a project that will not really be appreciated or used on a calculator. I didn't vote no to not be supportive. Quite to the contrary, there is more support in telling it how it is and suggesting better alternatives than simply agreeing with something.
That being said, all this poll is is user's opinions. Feel free to prove us wrong about it. Many of the programs and apps I use today I would never have thought would go anywhere years ago. Just please understand that in the field of information security, you have required standards of security and you accept liability for people using your system and my personal reason for voting no was to inspire you to think about those things differently.

u wrote 2 paragraphs cause u took a joke seriously? thats patience Surprised

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours