A new (to me) FOSS FPS a friend of mine found this week. It is very rich in detail and gameplay. I've only had it for ~3 days and I've already got map editing down fairly well (still working on how to get slopes working right though). Editing is built-in to the game engine, and as easy to enter as the 'e' key. By just clicking and dragging, one can easily change the terrain and add objects, lights, and many other things. It also has a single player mode with enemies (I'd presume similar to Quake, since that's what it's based off of) and multiplayer online. I know this seems a little bit of a sketchy review, but I'm not that great at them and I thought I'd get the word out there Smile .

Linky: http://sauerbraten.org/
my AP Comp Sci class played this and Cube (the first version of the game) a lot when we had free time. Lost of fun and mad chaos there.
Yeah, Cube and its most popular mod, ActionCube, are also fun (preferable on less powerful systems). I can't remember, but I think Cube has bots, but I know ActionCube does either way.

I'm currently working on a map for Sauerbraten, but I'm having some difficulty with the heightmaps with slopes and such... They never seem to go flat in the right way. :/
Yeah, I used to play sauerbraten all the time. I was working on a map, but got bored with it and quit. Once I get linux installed again, we'll have to play some instagib. Smile

((don't worry, I suck at FPSs))
This looks awesome! I'll have to install it on the computers I oversee and try out a multiplayer game or four.
*bump* Never got around to playing this much (read: more than once) back in the day, but I just tried it now and I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it performs.
Wow... OLD engine.

I used this a couple years ago when I had my really good laptop Very Happy

It reminds me of the old quake games Very Happy
swivelgames wrote:
Wow... OLD engine.

I used this a couple years ago when I had my really good laptop Very Happy

It reminds me of the old quake games Very Happy
Not that old - not as old as the original Cube engine. We were even considering the possibility of using the Cube 2 engine to remake TBM into TBG at one, long-past point.
Yeah very true. I messed around with Cube though a while back; it is indeed very old 0.0

Sauerbraten is actually a type of roast beef in German ^^,
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* Never got around to playing this much (read: more than once) back in the day, but I just tried it now and I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it performs.

So you mean my super awesome HD 4850 won't break a sweat? That means 24xAA, w00t Wink
I wouldn't be surprised. Even my Radeon X600SE could run it on the highest detail levels without a shudder.
KermMartian wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised. Even my Radeon X600SE could run it on the highest detail levels without a shudder.

Oh, its that easy, huh? I can do Source games (like TF2) maxed out with 24xAA and still have a minimum FPS of 100, lol....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours