What method do you solve a Rubik's cube?
Beginners Method
 27%  [ 3 ]
CFOP
 36%  [ 4 ]
Other Method
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't Know how to solve it any way!
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

I can do beginners method about 30 seconds, but I'm trying to learn CFOP. Any ideas or suggestions?
    The cross can always be done in 8 or fewer moves. If you use more, look for improvements.
    F2L is simply a matter of pairing together a white corner and a middle layer edge, and placing this pair into its correct "slot". Before learning algorithms, try and practice doing this step intuitively, to get a feel for what you actually will have to do.
    Full OLL is 57 algorithms, and for this reason, it's very hard to learn. In fact, many world-record cubers don't know full OLL. Just do F (sexy) F' as normal for the edges, and learn COLL (Corner-Orientation of Last Layer), which has 8 cases.
    Full PLL isn't too hard to learn, except for V-perm and G-perm. Starting out, just learn the CPLL and EPLL cases, which should get you through PLL just fine. (If they won't work by themselves, turn the top layer one quarter turn.

The only other advice I can give you is specific algorithms. For example, in the F2L step, if the edge is placed, but the white corner on the top layer is facing up, do the sexy move 3 times.
My friend at school gave me a link to some great youtube videos, so I know how to do "beginner's CFOP", but really, really slowly.
In that case, go ahead and learn full PLL (21 algs, so not that hard).

If you have this F2L case (only corner inserted, but all edges are oriented):

do R' U' R' U' R' U R U R.
@JWinslow23

Thanks!

I don't have a cube on me, but I'll try that as soon as I can.

EDIT: What's the inverse of the algorithm you posted?
Also, do you have any tips for getting faster?
jcgter777 wrote:
Thanks!

I don't have a cube on me, but I'll try that as soon as I can.

EDIT: What's the inverse of the algorithm you posted?

You mean mirror?

L U L U L U' L' U' L'
FYI, I use 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. If you want to see where I got these, look up ParadoxCubing. Also, for OLL, I solve the cross, and then use sune and/or anti-sune to solve the yellow side.
jcgter777 wrote:
FYI, I use 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. If you want to see where I got these, look up ParadoxCubing. Also, for OLL, I solve the cross, and then use sune and/or anti-sune to solve the yellow side.

OK, so for the Sune/Anti-Sune step, that step is called OCLL (Orient Corners of Last Layer) (I misremembered the proper name before, heh). It has 7 non-solved cases (two of which are Sune and Anti-Sune). Here are the rest of the cases, with the algorithms I personally use.

And just so you're not confused by my terminology, the "sexy move" is R U R' U' (a punchy name for a common trigger), and lowercase letters will mean turn 2 layers of that face.

H

F sexy sexy sexy F'

Pi

f sexy f' F sexy F'

Headlights

The most awkward OCLL for me, but still pretty fast.
R2 D R' U2 R D' R U2 R'

T

Hold it so the yellow side is the back, and there is a yellow corner on the top right.
R' U' L U R U' L' U

Bowtie

R' F R B' R' F' R B

As for PLL, learning 1-look PLL isn't very hard (except for V-perm, which is hard to find good algorithms for, and the G-perms, which are hard in general). I'd suggest to learn it.
I hate the letter notation... it gives me a headache
(sorry that this post adds almost nothing, i just wanted to say that)

I think i use a variant of the beginners method, and i can solve the 3x3x3 in like 50 seconds, but i haven't focused on speed solving any size, just being able to solve all sizes :3
Also, btw, what cubes do you people use?

I use a MoYu Hualong,and a MoFang ThunderClap. (3x3)
MoYu Weipo, and CubeStyle Carbon Fiber (2x2)

EDIT: I sold my Hualong for $5 more than the actual price, and bought another 2 cubes. I now have a GAN 356 Air SM, a GAN 356 Air S Master, the Mofang thunderclap, (3x3) and the same 2x2s.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours