What Kind of Contest Do You Want to See?
Platformer
 29%  [ 5 ]
Sidescroller
 11%  [ 2 ]
Arcade
 11%  [ 2 ]
Strategy
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

I'm gonna lean toward:
1. if it's not announced, don't announce it
2. if it is announced, stop announcing it

but it is of course Rivereye's final decision, he being the judge and all.
Cool. I haven't announced anything new on my strategy game in a while since there is no one at BPC to announce to, so I guess for now my best option is strategy.
Meh, I'm not entering. I don't know enough BASIC..... Sad
Oh don't say that Calcman. If you keep saying it, eventually you're going to believe it. I'm thinking that it's not that you don't know enough BASIC, but you don't have any idea what game you would make for the contest. You'll think of something. Smile
Besides, once you get some progress, the confidence boost will just keep you going!
CalcMan, don't worry about how good or bad something is when you start. Just come up with an idea that appeals to you and make it any way. Then you can go back and improve it later.
KermMartian wrote:
Then you can go back and improve it later.

It's a mistake to forget that. One of the problems for me is that I try to optimize as I go. Because of that I run into two problems:

1.) I have to start learning advanced stuff that's probably beyond my level.

2.) The optimizations were actually bad for the program as a whole (hasn't happend so far, but I predict it will.)

The only thing I can think of for reasons to optimize as you go, is that if you're bad a commenting (like me sometimes) you can often forget what the original code was suppose to do.
Yeah, but in CalcMan's case, if he gets too hung up on trying to make optimized code on the fly, he might get frustrated with the program as a whole and lose his momentum.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm gonna lean toward:
1. if it's not announced, don't announce it
2. if it is announced, stop announcing it

but it is of course Rivereye's final decision, he being the judge and all.

Sounds good to me, I don't want to have a little thing like a bias get in my way. You guys posted a lot in here when I was out fishing.
Heh, is that what you were doing? Nice. Alrighty, that can be incorporated into the rules. Projects are not to be actively published while a contest is running, and previous announcements must cease when a contest is announced
yeah, maybe we should get an official rule topic going for all contests.
Indeed. I vote it be a repliable sticky with the first post having the continually updated rules.
agreed, we should get to work on it.
k, I'll be back later this evening to help out.
allright, hope to have things up soon.
Well, ok. I'll enter. But I first have to know which one wins: platformer or strategy.
I'm guessing just the 8x+ series?
Four more hours. And nope Liazon, z80s and 68ks are the two platforms allowed.
yay! too bad I've already announced the strategy game that I've been working on for a while.
's ok, check out the rules. As long as you stop announcing it, it's ok. Smile

Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours