I'm trying to warm up into my coding spree again (ADHD really doesn't bode well with coding). And I need some stupid project to make, anyone have any small dumb ideas for a program?
Ok, here's a few:
Chrome dino game
Port any small ti-basic game you like from ticalc.org (i see it as also being idea repository with mixed execution)
Throw a fresh coat of paint on it, maybe add to or edit the gameplay a bit...
Make tron, write a few different methods for cpu opponents, you can throw them against each other or just player vs cpu.
Feel free to take any project idea I've abandoned, too.
Overall, ideas are a dime a dozen, its how you use them that counts.
You should make a first person game, not two many new one around these days, All 3rd.
Hush wrote:
You should make a first person game, not two many new one around these days, All 3rd.

Interesting Idea, 3D maybe? although I don't know how to do 3D at all, I could fake it somehow.
Conway's Game of Life is always fun to implement.

N-Body simulations are always cool.

I believe no one's yet done a Z-Machine interpreter in Axe.

A suite of Solitaire Games would be cool, or even just Klondike.
An on-calc assembler for tge 84+CE would be highly wanted.
i need ideas too...
It could be interesting to put a sudoku solver on a calculator.

In my experience, having high motivation but no interesting projects is a harbinger of burnout; perhaps the best project is taking a short break?
iPhoenix wrote:
In my experience, having high motivation but no interesting projects is a harbinger of burnout; perhaps the best project is taking a short break?

I feel like I need a short break from my long break.
clevor wrote:
An on-calc assembler for tge 84+CE would be highly wanted.

I second this. Then I feel like I would actually be willing to learn ASM for the CE.
Quote:
anyone have any small dumb ideas for a program?

clevor wrote:
An on-calc assembler for tge [sic] 84+CE would be highly wanted.

🙃

For a small project, I've found that experimenting with remixes of popular arcade games can be fun. For example, one of my favorite arcade games ever (of which I made a calculator port), Invalid Tangram, is the conceptual child of Tetris and Space Invaders.
Over the last years I've made a list of calculator projects which I wanted to attempt but never found time/motivation to do so. Some of them are quite ambitious, but I think they can be done.

Board/Card games:
Mill
Catan
Video Poker

Other games:
SimCity like game
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (There is a complete decompilation of this masterpiece on GitHub. I don't know whether this could be optimized run in a playable speed on the CE, but the original game is just 1 MB and the SNES has 128 KB of RAM so it would fit on the CE.)

Other Ideas:
Implementation of QOI image format
HTML Parser/Renderer (text-based)
ZebraVogel wrote:
but the original game is just 1 MB and the SNES has 128 KB of RAM so it would fit on the CE.

Re-read what you typed, please.

The SNES has 64 KB each of RAM and VRAM, so we'd already be running low on avaliable RAM even without accounting for where all the background layers will be stored, Mode 7, and other things.

The SNES's color format is almost identical to the CE's, though, but that wouldnt really matter when everything else is pushing the limits.
grubbycoder wrote:
ZebraVogel wrote:
but the original game is just 1 MB and the SNES has 128 KB of RAM so it would fit on the CE.

Re-read what you typed, please.

The SNES has 64 KB each of RAM and VRAM, so we'd already be running low on avaliable RAM even without accounting for where all the background layers will be stored, Mode 7, and other things.

The SNES's color format is almost identical to the CE's, though, but that wouldnt really matter when everything else is pushing the limits.

On the CE there are about 290 KB of usable RAM if you use the second half of VRAM as additional scrap memory. I'm not very familiar with the SNES Hardware but I don't think it' completely impossible.
I already know that, but I'd genuinely be surprised if the game could ever run at a playable speed, since the C port uses SDL and OpenGL for graphics acceleration.

At that point, just stick with Link's Awakening or OOA/OOS on TI-Boy CE.
Something interesting would be a calculator for the TI 84+ CE. Like, one that has decent UI.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours