I'm sure some of you attempting (or thinking about) switching to linux will find this helpful.

http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/moodle/
Thanks for the link d00d.
Also:http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page
Indeed, that's also got some helpful info, although some of it is Gentoo- specific.
Wow, thanks. I have been looking for something like this. If I didn't get the "Error: Database connection failed." message it would be perfect. All I can ever seem to find are pure terminal tutorials.
Gentoo Wiki wrote:
Well today we upgraded Mediawiki to 1.6.2....
That's why you had the problem. It's all fixed now.
KermMartian wrote:
Gentoo Wiki wrote:
Well today we upgraded Mediawiki to 1.6.2....
That's why you had the problem. It's all fixed now.

No, it was at http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/moodle/
It still has the database error.

It's such a shame to let my linux rig go to waste. That beast has 4 gigs!

...of hard drive space...
foamy3 wrote:
....that beast has 4 gigs!

Somehow I saw that coming. Very Happy My Linux beast has 40gb of hard drive space and an amazing... 192mb of RAM. Did I mention the 400 mhz proc? Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
....that beast has 4 gigs!

Somehow I saw that coming. Very Happy My Linux beast has 40gb of hard drive space and an amazing... 192mb of RAM. Did I mention the 400 mhz proc? Very Happy

Mine has a 333mhz proc.
My linux system has an AthlonXP 2500 (1.8ghz), 1gb ram, 128mb Radeon 9700Pro, and 20gb hdd space (of which only ~700mb is free, i need to expand it Smile )

As for Learn Linux - just give it a couple days or so, it was featured on the front page of [H]ard|OCP - and that has been known to crash many a webserver with a massive spike in bandwidth usage Wink
My rig has an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2 ghz), 1GB of DDR 400 RAM (only 256MB shows up; it's a damaged module), 80GB HD (of which not much is free), and a pathetic All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 64MB video card Very Happy
Heh, ult dev, you beat me on CPU, dang you!

Oh, and I should probably mention that my linux partition is 20gb, i have 280gb (120 + 160) of hdd space (most of which is used)
Well, my Linux machine is Pentium 4, 1.8 ghz (I'm in the process of upgrading to a 2.8 ghz Pentium D, though), 640 MB RAM, 40 GB HD space (only ~10 GB is my Linux partition, the rest is a Windows Vista Beta), and an even more pathetic 64 MB nVidia TNT2.
Now that we've done the standard geek specs competition, how about uptime? Very Happy I've got 17 days, 2:18.
As soon as I get my storage HD (possibly in the next week or so), I'll have Linux on this rig. 1GB RAM, 2.1GHz AMD64 3800+, and a GeForce 6800 GT 256MB graphics card Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Now that we've done the standard geek specs competition, how about uptime? Very Happy I've got 17 days, 2:18.

I turn mine off every night so that I can sleep (my comp is in my bedroom) - its got all them fancy lights and crazy cooling so its both loud AND bright Smile
I just put a towel over my case Laughing

Quote:

Mine's been on since I got back from Mass., minus a few reboots after messing with my kernel...so it's been up for about 4 days straight now.
I shutdown mine every night unless I need to download something.

Oh, and my windows rig has 512mb ram, 2.7ghz proc, 32mb vid card, and 30gb hdd(almost out of space). I'll probably be building one this year for college, though.
I tend to shut mine down when I'm not doing anything with it, because it boots nice and fast, plus it's in the basement. So, my current uptime is about 20 minutes.
I usually book up the desktop when I wake up, and shut down when I go to sleep. My laptop is almost always on though.
specs:
Desktop: AMD Atholon 1.2ghz, 768 MB RAM, 300 GB HD, dual Geforce MX 4000s
Laptop: 500mhz PIII, 128mb RAM, 20 GB HD

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours