Aye, but there are some notable exceptions: GTA, AOE, the Civ games, and Oblivion of course...
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I personally prefer playing console games, as the quality of console games are generally higher than that of regular PC games.

I wouldn't say that. Both consoles and PCs are roughly equal. PCs dominate the RTS/Strategy, FPS, and sim markets, whereas consoles get more platform/adventure, racing, and sports games. Both platforms, however, get roughly all of the same games, with each system getting about the same amount of exclusive games

The actual game quality, however, is often the same, as they are often developed for both platforms at the same time. (the PC ones seem to require patches more and more, but those are often released within a month of the games release, so it isn't a big deal yet)

@Kerm: 2 out of 4 of your examples were released on console before or at the same time as the PC version Razz. I'd also use examples like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, F.E.A.R., MS Flight Simulator, and Rise of Nations
At the same time, but not before.... were they? Shock
KermMartian wrote:
At the same time, but not before.... were they? Shock

All the newer GTA (>=GTA3) games came out on consoles a solid 6 months+ before it did on PC. Oblivion was released on XBox360 and PC at the same time, and the XBox 360 version gets the mini-addons a couple days sooner than the PC does.
Huh, look at that. You learn something every day.
Anyway, back on topic to ideas for making money, it sounds like Chipmaster has a nice little business going. What's the scoop, Chip?
jpez wrote:
Anyway, back on topic to ideas for making money, it sounds like Chipmaster has a nice little business going. What's the scoop, Chip?
Confused Did I miss something somewhere? What kind of business?
I have an idea; up where my uncle lives, his supermarket sells steak for $1.99 a pound Shock If we can buy mass quantities from that supermarket, we can resell the meat for lots of $$$
jpez wrote:

Well, it started when my parents' friends computers would break, and my parents suggested that I go over and take a look at them. Little by little I built up a reputation for fixing them up (generally I show up and they're infested with spyware, adware, and viri; also I get some where the internet connection is down, computer won't boot, or with other critical problems). So, this summer my parents suggested I put an add in the local paper, and since then I've been getting calls from all sorts of people in town.

I'm happy with it because I enjoy doing it and I make pretty good money. I usually fix 2 or three computers each week so it's just really part time right now. It's fun after I finish and I try to give a brief synopsis of what I did. These adults are always amazed that I know these things, and I always get asked where and how did I learn this.

The rest of my cash flow comes from working full time at Dunkin Donuts - a job I hate and love.

@Kerm: It was in the customer disservice topic I believe.
Neat. I've done the same for some friends and neighbors on an informal basis, but in NYC too many people are already posting flyers, ads, etc for it to really be worthwhile for me.
I used to do some tech support/computer fixing - but i hated it so bad that I started saying no to people and telling my dad to refuse anyone who asked (people at my dad's work were the ones asking most - because I fixed all their work computers and they were amazed when it went a good 300% faster with fewer crashes once all the malware was cleaned off)
Another idea: adding Google Ads to the bottom of your site. Smile
More ideas:
-Make some solar-powered flashlights (protect the environment!) and put an ad for them in the newspaper.
-Sell an underwater breathing apparatus for however much you want to charge. It's a straw.
-Market water waste-removal systems-they're buckets and screens.
The idea is to take advantage of the sheer numbers of idiots in the world, while hopefully making money. Evil or Very Mad
0x5, excellent ideas. So this has netted me $0.16 so far. Very Happy
We could sell awareness packets for Dihydrogen Monoxide Laughing
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
We could sell awareness packets for Dihydrogen Monoxide 0x5
Laughing That's always amusing.

>> Overuse of it can be deadly, but withdrawal can cause death in days
>> Found nearly everywhere, but tasteless and odorless
>> Reacts with very few materials
>>Inhalation is deadly
>>It's the main component in acid rain.
Indeed. What other get-rich-quick ideas do we have?
other than showing that geeks/nerds can be tough also?
Yes, other than that. Razz I don't think that's actually a valid idea for UD. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours