I've been waiting all my life for this
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'll definitely give this a download when it comes out
 16%  [ 2 ]
You've sparked my interest
 66%  [ 8 ]
Meh, I'm much more excited for DCS6
 8%  [ 1 ]
I never liked Double Dragon to begin with, what makes you think I'll enjoy a butchered calculator version?
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

I've decided to scrap my original couple of ideas in favor of porting an old favorite of mine to the 83+. I have the original GameBoy version of Double Dragon. For those of you not in the know, Double Dragon is a third person fighting arcade style game where the main character has to battle his way through a barage of enemies to save his girl friend, using objects such as iron pipes, boxes, and of course his iron fists to save the day.

I spent 10 hours today getting the player movement down perfectly. He has several different positions that correstpond to the GameBoy game, including: crouching, walking, and jumping. Next, I'm working on creating and writing the engine that will control the background. Also, I'm experimenting with Grey Scale (although I have helped others do grey scale before, this is the first time, that I've done it myself). Here's a preview of what I've done so far. The grey scale looks a little funky in PTI, but I assure you it looks sweet on calc.

Keep in mind, this is only one days work. I'm planning on putting in a lot more than that. Smile

Edit: Stupid photobucket. I hope the link works for you guys. Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could post the animated gif other than this?
I have seen the game, never did play it much though. My brother beat one of them if I recal.

as to the image, for free, I am unsure unless you can talk a site owner into letting him/her use his/her space and bandwidth.
Clicking in the frame allowed me to see it...

I like it a lot. If only I could still work with my 83+SE...
That's amazing!!!!! just in one day???

I could never do that in one day.
Thanks for the support. It was pretty quick moving in the beginning because I had a good idea of what I was going to do going into it. I have, however, hit my first speedbump. Does anyone know where I can find a 2 byte clipped sprite routine? I've spent the last hour and half trying to make my own, but I really haven't gotten anywhere. I can kind of understand the 1 byte clipped sprite routines I have seen (and I realize that I should try to understand them fully, but that's too much for tonight Wink), but trying to apply that and making my own 2 byte version (by two byte I mean a sprite that's 16 bits wide) has proved a very difficult task. Perhaps I should call it quits for tonight and pick up with this tomorrow.
I ended up writing my own for DCS. I doubt that it would work for you, though, since you need grayscale.
Plz can I see it? :eager:
Look for Mouse_Clip in http://www.cemetech.net/doorscs/docs/source/dcs6.asm .
Wow, that's very impressive! Are you sure you have enough to work on for the summer? At that rate, you'll be done this week! Laughing
KermMartian wrote:
Alright, thanks. I'll look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes.

Thanks Jpez. I doubt I will be working on it as much as I have today on average so it might take a while. I've got a couple other ideas for things I could work on after this. Rest assured, it will be a summer of z80 asm Very Happy
For me as well, if I can convince myself to finish DCS6 before MultipliCity. Smile
0x5, it's like a natural tendency of the brain to avoid asm at all costs. Laughing
Indeed. Why bother with 96x64 when I can have 800x600, you know? Smile
Phew, I was able to successfully create the sprite clipping routine that I needed this morning with a fresh head. I can proudly say that I didn't even look at Kerm's mouse clipping routine, and that I came up with it entirely myself to taylor it to exactly what needed to be done in the program Very Happy

So, what does this all mean? Why a scrolling map of course. Keep in mind that I still have to make more map tiles (there are only two right now), so the background is a little dull, but it still scrolls perfectly.

Next up will be to make more background tiles and begin working on objects that the character can interact with and punches kicks etc. I think I'm even going to throw in some special combinations that will do cool stuff like Mortal Combat has (ie. left left right up kick does something...).

Edit: I added on a few more wall tiles, and made a much better level wall displaying routine. I left it uncapped right now, so the character can continue on beyond where my wall sprites are. So after the character passes through the defined levels he passes through a background of data interpretted as sprites. As I demonstrate here: data makes interesting patterns Laughing

0z5... having fun running around inside your calculator's RAM? ^_^
I assume you're going to animate the legs while walking, yes?
They are animated now, but you really have to look closely to see. Kneeling is also animated, but you also have to look closely to see. I'll probably make it clearer by making the two sprites look more different or slowing down the switching between the two. Right now I think it switches back and forth so fast that you really can't tell that it's changed. Thanks for the criticism. Wink
You are right, i looked closely and they move, but one leg is almost greyscale (very light grayscale too).
Yea, that needs to be fixed. I'll get right on that.
Chipmaster wrote:
They are animated now, but you really have to look closely to see. Kneeling is also animated, but you also have to look closely to see. I'll probably make it clearer by making the two sprites look more different or slowing down the switching between the two. Right now I think it switches back and forth so fast that you really can't tell that it's changed. Thanks for the criticism. Wink

You probably won't need to worry about that until after you put in enemies and other things that will take up clock cycles.
[Offtopic] No DCS in that Apps list? Sad Wink
Excellent, I had a feeling you weren't going to leave something like that out.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours