yeah, I should look into going up to XHTML.
elfprince13 wrote:
oh yeah, I learned <p> first, but used it only for inserting line breaks and never used the </p>
Mwahahaha! Wow, that's awesome. So many <p>s and no </p>s must have been fun for page load speeds.
well if i want to have a good site does the following scripting languages look like a good list:

html
javascript
css
php

in that order.
I would do CSS before Javascript, people will care about looks before functionality.
alright i will do that. but i already know some javascript. i used it in my site to but only for a simple function.
JS should be used for things that should change in-page (without reloading, like the sidebar here). CSS can handle :hover and displaing/hiding, so if you use JS for it then learn CSS later, replace JS with the CSS.
Agreed. Oh, and just so people don't jump down your throat (some people are picky about this)

HTML : markup language
CSS : style definition
Javascript: scripting language
php: scripting language
elfprince13 wrote:
oh yeah, I learned <p> first, but used it only for inserting line breaks and never used the </p>

</p> doesn't do anything, but <p/> does.
....wtF? <p/>? Shock
Try it out for yourself, Mr. Skeptical.
jpez wrote:
Try it out for yourself, Mr. Skeptical.
Huh, how strange is that. Never knew about that one before...
Yeah, I only learned about it recently.
jpez wrote:
Yeah, I only learned about it recently.
Fascinating... interesting what you find out from teh pez. Cool
jpez, </p> closes a paragraph.
suppose i used a lot of javascript functions on a site would this be legal:

Code:

<script type="text/javascript">
function msg()
{
alert(txt)
}
</script>

and then save that as function.js file then when i want to add it to my site do this:

Code:

<html>
<head>
txt="This is an alert"
<script src="function.js">
</script>
</head>
<body onload="msg()"
</body>
</html>
</head>
rivereye wrote:
jpez, </p> closes a paragraph.
I'm aware of that. My point is that instead of doing this:
Code:
<p>This is my first paragraph. I am not very good at writing paragraphs. Maybe I should give up on websites.</p><p>The above paragraph made little to no sense. This one doesn't make sense either.</p>
You can just write this:
Code:
This is my first paragraph. I am not very good at writing paragraphs. Maybe I should give up on websites.<p />The above paragraph made little to no sense. This one doesn't make sense either.
Which is still XHTML compliant in addition to reducing page load times and making code easier to maintain. Of course, if you wish to style your paragraphs using CSS, then that shortcut isn't going to work for you, but it's much easier than having two <br />'s.
It looks like that's crossbrowser to me, correct?
No reason why it shouldn't be...
jpez wrote:
Besides the fact that IE doesn't follow CSS standards? Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
jpez wrote:
Besides the fact that IE doesn't follow CSS standards? Very Happy
Silly me.... Razz

Someone needs to write spyware that enters through IE, installs FF on the user's computer, skins it to look like IE, and replaces all shortcuts to IE with shortcuts to FF. Evil or Very Mad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours