TOPIC REVIVAL!!!

I had a 3000 kbps download earlier this week ph43r

What's everyone's fastest download speed?
850 KB/s for me (or something like that). Are you sure you were getting 3 gigs?
Laughing I meant 3000 kbps (also, 3000 mbps =/= 3 gig)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
0x5 I meant 3000 kbps (also, 3000 mbps =/= 3 gig)

If we downloaded at 3 gb per second Rolling Eyes ...

Anyways, I love how at the very beginning of most downloads you are getting outrageous download speeds like that =D.
that 850 I reached after downloading for an hour (Knoppix DVD ISO).
rivereye wrote:
that 850 I reached after downloading for an hour (Knoppix DVD ISO).

That is incredible Shock
yeah, and probably if I closed off everything on my comp, and took everyone else in my house offline, I don't know what it would have done.
He, mine's absolutely pitiful, 50 kb/s. That's taking all of my available bandwidth and putting it to use for downloading... and my computer has a gigabit ethernet connection... *sigh*
you have dial-up or something then for internet?
No, it's SBC DSL, although I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest option. (about $10 a month)
The Tari wrote:
No, it's SBC DSL, although I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest option. (about $10 a month)

0x5, 10 dollars is for dial up down here Rolling Eyes .
Harq wrote:
The Tari wrote:

0x5, 10 dollars is for dial up down here Rolling Eyes .

Confused My dial-up is $20... The most I ever get in a download is 6kb/s
Laughing I've never gotten more than 3-4 kbps on dial-up, even with a 56K modem Razz

Quote:
Anyways, I love how at the very beginning of most downloads you are getting outrageous download speeds like that =D.

But the strangest thing about this was that it never at any point dropped below 2500 kbps ph43r
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
0x5 I've never gotten more than 3-4 kbps on dial-up, even with a 56K modem Razz

Quote:

But the strangest thing about this was that it never at any point dropped below 2500 kbps ph43r

Dear lord, I really want that download speed...

P.S. What were you downloading?
Well, I've gotten those speeds twice in my life; one (just recently) downloading a video, and another was downloading RealPlayer a couple of years ago from real.com
Harq wrote:

Thats because it starts downloading before you hit save/open, so its already downloaded X amount of data before you have even told it to save, yet it doesn't start timing the download until you hit save or open, hence the "large burst of speed" at the beggining, its not really going that fast, its just including what it has already cached Wink
Ha, I regularly get upwards of 4mBps while connected at school - that's about 32mbps. Very Happy Yay for triple T3s...
...But where do you download from? It must be while on your intranet, because not all servers on the internet have three T3 lines open for each user Laughing
Your right, internet servers tend to have a *bit* beafier of a line than 3 T3s Razz (and of course, it isn't necessarily cap'd)
Keep in mind each is from a different ISP so we're not dependent upon a single ISP should it go down.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours