Essentially anything that requires server-side interactivity. If you only need dynamic stuff clientside, Javascript is what you need.
alrighty then. if i have php being used inside a document that has a .html extension but i am using a host that has php will the php still work
lafferjm wrote:
alrighty then. if i have php being used inside a document that has a .html extension but i am using a host that has php will the php still work

most likely no, it has to have a .php (or a .php supported alternative) to work, just change the extension on the document, it will still work the same.
alright i will do that
Anything with a .php extension is rendered as HTML, but the server also looks for <?php ?> blocks to evaluate the code within them.
what is the symbol for or. i know it is two up and down lines but what is the keyboard equivelent
look above your enter key, same key as \, at least on my keyboard
Yup, the | is the "pipe" key.
I'm a bit confused. If I download xampp, it turns my computer into a localhost server capable of php? Does that mean other people on the internet can't view what I code? Or does my computer become an actual server, it's its uploading requested information to the internet?

Sorry if its a n00bish question. I have little experience with the internet and website design Sad
Your computer becomes server-like, giving you the ability to run php from the docs folder within xampp. This way you can be offline, and write php. Smile
So in order for you guys to see php in my site, I'd have to get a host that supports php, and then upload to them?

Are there any free hosts that support php? or does it generally cost money for php support? What do you guys use/recommend?
Yes indeed. There is AwardSpace, which lafferjm got, and supports php. Most free hosts, however, do not uspport PHP.
Liazon wrote:
So in order for you guys to see php in my site, I'd have to get a host that supports php, and then upload to them?

Or you can just use your own computer as a server Smile
Indeed, you could port-forward 80 or 8080 from your comp out to the world. Two problems with that though:
1. Your ISP might block port 80 and 8080; just pick another port
2. Your site would only be available when your computer is on.
true, also, XAMPP is not recommened for a live server, only for development. Please make sure you do secure your system before trying to do that (from the XAMPP site).
i bought this php book called php phrasebook and it is really good. it has some examples of code and stuff. and it had stuff about hashses and i had a question about them. it had sha1 and md5. then a function that gets the hash. the function is md5_file()/sha1_file(). and my question is how would i use them i have an idea but i am not sure.
rivereye wrote:
true, also, XAMPP is not recommened for a live server, only for development. Please make sure you do secure your system before trying to do that (from the XAMPP site).
Yeah, because if you have some security holes in your site, it could take down your whole compy.
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, because if you have some security holes in your site, it could take down your whole compy.

The security "holes" are more all of the default passwords it sets up for things like phpmyadmin and ftp, nothing that can take your comp down, but it will allow someone to play god with your site Wink
maybe, but I was just informing him.
Kllrnohj: I'm saying that if you have, for example, a MySQL insertion vulnerability, it could theoretically be used for something like a stack overflow attack, couldn't it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours