I have a 1TB laptop drive that I'd like to install in my machine, but don't want to have to go through the hassle of reinstalling all the updates for windows and such. So what I'd like to do is use my usb adapter that let's me connect to hard drives to clone my current drive onto a bigger one.

Currently looking for suggestions on software that is capable of cloning every bit of one drive to another, not just data files, but everything.
Clonezilla is my recomendation. It is a live Cd that boots up and lets you clone and mirror drives in a multitude of ways. As well as resize them and stuff as needed.
I'll have to see if I can find a video on usage, I want to know what I'd be getting into before downloading a whole bunch of stuff or screw something up majorly :p
http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

I used windows method d from above some time ago and it was really good
Clonezilla walks you through the cloning process step by step. I use it for comprehensive backups that you can just drop into Amazon Glacier.
Got my old drive successfully cloned to the 1TB drive, however, ran into a hiccup. It only showed the old space. After a little bit of digging, I came across this: http://www.disk-partition.com/blog/can-not-use-full-capacity-after-cloning-to-larger-hhd-html/

This has solved my problems, even restarted to ensure that it would hold. Now to do a disk defrag so it will perhaps increase the speed of starting up some.
Did you download that software? To the best of my knowledge and experiences, Windows is capable of resizing partitions directly from the Disk Management snap-in in the Computer Administration section of the Control Panel. Congratulations on the new and expanded hard drive!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours