Speaking of which, I need to update that at some point. Another year of experience had led me to see some noobish things in that guide. Rolling Eyes
Aye, I too have things to add and update to the guide. We should do that some time...
would be a good idea. Lets get some stuff together and that for it.
Rivereye, do you have any content that you want added, removed, or updated in the guide?
none I can think of at the moment, might look at it though.
KermMartian wrote:
As you start to get the basics down, I recommend you read The 1337 Guide to BASIC to ensureit you get into good coding habits early.

When i first started learning Basic, i got this guide and i thought the people who wrote it were some uber-1337-hax0r-programmers, lol, you can tell i had no clue about the language Razz (not to say that you aren't uber-1337-hax0r-programmers Laughing ). I developed a LOT of good coding habits because i read that when i was just learning it (like not putting the " and ) on the end of most things ).
I don't know if I'd call that a "good" coding habit. It lessons readability, and makes the code harder to understand. It's a better to do at the end of programming when you no longer have to look at the code IMHO.
I don't really have a problem reading the code with or without it, so I figure, do it while you are coding.
We should add How to do pure BASIC sprites quickly using stat plots to the guide. Very Happy
Harq wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
As you start to get the basics down, I recommend you read The 1337 Guide to BASIC to ensureit you get into good coding habits early.

When i first started learning Basic, i got this guide and i thought the people who wrote it were some uber-1337-hax0r-programmers, 0x5, you can tell i had no clue about the language Razz (not to say that you aren't uber-1337-hax0r-programmers 0x5 ). I developed a LOT of good coding habits because i read that when i was just learning it (like not putting the " and ) on the end of most things ).
You know, that's awesome to hear. I'm glad you think JPez and I are 1337. Cool
it is a good thing to hear that we are a good bunch of people hear.

something: that would be a good idea to have.
Something1990: Not a bad idea indeed. What else do you people recommend?
How about multiple conditionals using the max() function? We recently discussed that at TIFW. Also, the final tip in the 1337 guide should include a link to Kerm's Symbols v2.1 in addition to the Bomberman link.
Excellent ideas. In addition to max(, don't forget the min( trick....
Man, I thought I knew a lot about TI-BASIC, but fact is, I'm a total n00b. Sprites in pure BASIC would be very good to have, and I'm wondering if greyscale is possible in pure TI-BASIC.

There was this kid in my C# programming class this last year who made an RPG in pure TI-BASIC. I never got to play it, however, but he said it was really good, but really slow. It had stick figures, and it used Points and stuff like that.
I think we should go through the 1337 tips section on my forum, and compile some of that, because there is alot of useful info on it...
You can do pure TI-BASIC grayscale, it's just a code hog... lots of pixels or lines... there are ways to get around it, but it's just not efficient... still, it's uber1337...
alex10819 wrote:
it's just a code hog... lots of pixels or lines... there are ways to get around it
Like storing the data in a list and using a stat plot to display the sprite.
Well, if we do a section on BASIC Sprites, we should include the tech demo of AODR, since it uses hex sprites, and a string hit detection system, which imo is 1337. Very Happy

Or at the very least, include the hex2sprite program with a description on its workings...
alex: It's really easy to do grayscale text in BASIC, and it's only about 2.1x times the size of b&w text

tifreak: excellent ideas. I think explaining the hex sprite program is a must.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours