Krugle is a new site supposably you are able to search for almost anything pertaining to programming and developing. This is a site thats kinda like google, that allows you to find almost anything you need supposably. I have not look at it just yet, but I am about to.

The link to the actual site is krugle.com. The first link is just to all of what its about. Its a good info site for it.

EDIT: w00t, this site is awsome! Krugle.com folks!
Hmmm, looks cool! I'll see if it's helpful on some of my next projects.
So far, so...not good. I have been trying to use it for code look up when I need help, and quite frankly, it has no clue what its doing. The search just pulls up random things with the words your looking for in it.

Heres a random one I tried: URL Redirect in PHP(simple one, hoped they would know this one...)
Here is the only answer that came up:

Code:
'queryString' => array('controller' => 'migrate.Redirect'),
'locked' => 1,
'help' => $this->translate(array('text' => 'G1 URL redirect. Use only if G2 is installed where G1 used to be and you have run a G1 import with the URL redirect option selected. Otherwise follow instructions in %sMigrate Site Admin%s.', 'arg1' => '<a href="' . $url . '">', 'arg2' => '</a>'))
)
);

WTF?!?

Horrible if you ask me. Though, I believe if enough of us took some time to use all the functions and come up with something big, like a list, and then took there survey, and gave them great ideas and suggestions. Then maybe it would help them out and Krugle could be something Developers would be looking forward to.

EDIT::
Of course we all know that the answer is header('location:url'); but someone just learning PHP is searching for PHP redirect, not header('location');.
they may be a little newer, and then, they would need time to make sure they have everything set
Exactly why I think alot of us should study krugle, and make a great survey for them, so they would learn faster Smile .
swivelgames wrote:
So far, so...not good. I have been trying to use it for code look up when I need help, and quite frankly, it has no clue what its doing. The search just pulls up random things with the words your looking for in it.

Heres a random one I tried: URL Redirect in PHP(simple one, hoped they would know this one...)
Here is the only answer that came up:

its not a question/answer, its a search engine. Yes, all it does is look for words in code, which is why you have to be specific in what you want. Thats all google does too, is check for words in a page, yet no one is complaining about that

Also, it won't be as effective for simple problems, because it is searching other people's code and comments. No one comments what header('location:url') does, so krugle has nothing to base 'php redirect' off of.

I just did several searches for things that were tripping me up before (that i found in man pages), and it gave good results that would have helped me out. So try searching for more advanced stuff, and you will get better results
Krugle doesn't support Opera. Sad I'm going to have to use IE.
Chances are they're still refining the search algorithm, and I bet it doesn't have a huge database to draw from yet, hence that bad match for PHP redirection.
KermMartian wrote:
Chances are they're still refining the search algorithm, and I bet it doesn't have a huge database to draw from yet, hence that bad match for PHP redirection.

No, its because it doesn't answer QUESTIONS it looks for WORDS. When you are writing PHP, do you ever do?

Code:
//PHP Redirect
header('location:url')

I sure hope not, because that is worthless commenting. Therefore, if you do a search for PHP redirect, you won't get header('location:url') because 'php' and 'redirect' aren't found in the statements 'header(' and 'location:', nor will it be found in the comments before it (because who in their right mind comments that crap?)

Google will return results because there are PHP tutorials that cover that, krugle just searches code, not websites, hence you will never get results for PHP Redirect, no matter how large the database gets

Like I said before, do a search for something advanced, that would actually be commented because it isn't mind numblingly obvious, and you get back great results

@something: You can use Opera with krugle just fine (or FireFox, whatever). Just go to tools->quick preferences->identify as IE and then krugle.com will work just fine
I didn't notice that. Thanks.
Kllrnohj: ah, excellent point. That seems kinda insurmountable though without a bunch of programmers sitting down and creating a huge database associating topics such as "redirect" with commands such as "header."
something1990 wrote:
Krugle doesn't support Opera. Sad I'm going to have to use IE.

I am using Opera, it works fine for me. Press F12 and click Identify as IE or Mozzila or Netscape Wink .
krugle.com

Quote:
That seems kinda insurmountable though without a bunch of programmers sitting down and creating a huge database associating topics such as "redirect" with commands such as "header."

They need to create a database that has the command and other such things like source code, and another with keywords and such.

i.e.

keywords | command | source/explample
redirecting | header('location:') | header('location:http://www.example.com');

Simple enough Smile .
But if you read carefully, you'll see that requires thousands of man-hours by programmers skilled in each language. Not as cost effective as a bunch of computers autonomously spidering the 'net. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj: ah, excellent point. That seems kinda insurmountable though without a bunch of programmers sitting down and creating a huge database associating topics such as "redirect" with commands such as "header."

Like I said, its not a question/answer, but an example tool

case in point, the GTK docs are vague as to how you use g_object_get_data, do a search in krugle, and you get tons of examples on how its used....
Ah I see. Oh well. it was asaid on MSNBC that it was a site for developers to search for help kinda like google. Oh well.

It was actually pretty useful when I was looking for the page_header.php for phpbb version 2.2.19 Smile . I lost all the file contents and it let you view the whole file, so thats good.

But other than that it just defines a function you dont quite understand, it just gives function examples.

Well, it was fun looking into it anyway Smile .
Swivel, I'm not sure about for PHP, but I have found that for more advanced functions and classes, examples are more often than not what you really want when you aren't sure how to do it yourself. There is a point where tutorials drop off, and examples will become the best source of information Wink
You did what last night?

I have no clue what your talking about Kllrnohj. I do know that what I asked was of course simple, but all I was going was testing. Are you saying we should try various advanced functions and search for those?
I think Kllrnohj was just pointing out the limitations of the system and how they can be worked around.
swivelgames wrote:
I have no clue what your talking about Kllrnohj. I do know that what I asked was of course simple, but all I was going was testing. Are you saying we should try various advanced functions and search for those?

Yes, search for advanced functions, but don't phrase it as a question, and don't include unnecessary words (for example, don't type in PHP, instead, just select the language next to search and set it to PHP)
I think one thing to do might be to google "php redirect", find that the command is header, then use krugle to search for "header" in lang PHP.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours