I have programmed in basic for at least 9 months now,
I would like to learn assembly where should I get started?
I looked at a few start-up guides but I'm still confused.
I don't want to write assembly programs on my computer I want to do it on my calculator.
I have a TI-84+ and a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition
Where can I find the token equivalents for the commands?
I want to program like Xeda. Razz
Thanks
Programming assembly using the hex versions of the opcodes (there's an easier way to say this, but i'll leave it out out of respect for Kerm Wink) is probably the most confusing way to learn assembly. Every time you add an instruction, you'll have to update nearly every single command that has an absolute address pointing inside your program, relative jumps, and will just be a headache. I really recommend NOT trying to write assembly in hex but rather use an assembler which will make your life infinitely easier. I find it's much more enjoyable coding on the computer, it's much more convenient, quicker, better debugging tools, and you don't have to worry about RAM clears. There are some pretty nice oncalc assemblers, such as Mimas and ASMDREAM (check ticalc for both of them).

If looking at startup guides was confusing, trying to use the hex opcodes rather than the mnemonics will be much moreso. Try going through "Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly in 28 Days" and posting your questions here. There are plenty of options for programming and debugging on the computer if that's what you choose to do.
chickendude wrote:
Programming assembly using the hex versions of the opcodes (there's an easier way to say this, but i'll leave it out out of respect for Kerm Wink) is probably the most confusing way to learn assembly.
So many times this. There's absolutely no reason not to use a modern assembler, and it doesn't make you more cool or skilled or respectable than assembly programmers who use assemblers to compute the machine-code equivalents by hand. Many of us have done it, but only in times of dire necessity when an assembler is not around.

Quote:
If looking at startup guides was confusing, trying to use the hex opcodes rather than the mnemonics will be much moreso. Try going through "Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly in 28 Days" and posting your questions here. There are plenty of options for programming and debugging on the computer if that's what you choose to do.
Exactly this. You should install the Doors CSE 8.0 SDK (in my opinion, because Brass is a great assembler), start reading TI-83 Plus Assembly in 28 Days, and ask us questions about things like how you need to modify the example programs to work properly on the TI-84+CSE.
What? I'm not trying to be cool at all...I downloaded SDK and couldnt get it work, downloaded rom.8x, couldnt get it to work...But the readme was VERY clear...oops, i guess you think I'm stupid or something...I was trying to do it this way because it seemed easier, I did NOT do it as a status symbol.
Thanks a lot,
AshBob5000
I'll just comment that if you start with hex codes you will most likely give it up. They can be useful later, especially for SMC (self-modifying code), but for now it's MUCH easier to use the mnemonics and you'll be much more likely to stick it through. Writing your code in hex is a major pain. You need to calculate all offsets yourself and whenever you add a new line of code you'll need to manually recalculate all those offsets. It's fine if you want to add two numbers together or turn off the screen or something, but even then you'll need to memorise all the bcalls by their address. The same with all addresses, for example instead of remembering "gbuf" for graph buffer, you'll need to know $9340.

Nobody (here at least Wink) thinks you are dumb. It's true that years ago the hardest part about programming was getting your first program to assemble. These days thankfully it's much easier. And when you say SDK, do you mean the Doors CS(E) one? TI also has (had?) an SDK which was a major pain in the rear to get going, at least compared with today's options. Another option is spasm, one small executable file that you run like this (from cmd prompt) "spasm source.asm file.8xp". I don't have a CSE, though, so don't know if there's any real major change in the format of program files. I don't think there is.

Personally i think it would be better to resolve the trouble your having trying to assemble a sample program than to switch to writing in hex. If you think it will be easier to program writing in hex, then all you have to do is remember this chart:
http://nemesis.lonestar.org/computers/tandy/software/apps/m4/qd/opcodes.html
There are tricks to it, but if you can't quickly/easily convert between binary and hex they won't help you much. In the register section of an opcode, for example, these are the values for the (8-bit) registers:
a 111
b 000
c 001
d 010
e 011
h 100
l 101
(hl) 110

ASMDREAM actually comes with the source and as it reads from a program file and doesn't have much of a graphical interface, it'd probably be much easier to port to the CSE than Mimas. Then you could program using mnemonics on your CSE.
For no reason I shall bump this thread and say sorry to KermMartian for my rudeness, and thanks to ChickenDude for putting up with me.
Thanks for the apology. Have you tried do to any assembly programming lately? Any questions we can answer?
I'd also like to motivate you to get started with some asm programming if you haven't started already. The z80 is really a nice little platform.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours