Kllrnohj wrote:
Kerm, thats because they usually get big orders. Do an order for just one CD and it only takes like 2 weeks (or at least, thats how long it took for me to get mine)
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ wrote:
How Long Will It Take?

Short Answer: 4-6 Weeks Shipment time can vary considerably in relation to a wide range of factors (when you order CDs; where you are located in the world; the speed of your local mail delivery; etc). That said, a good rule of thumb is to allow at least 4-6 weeks for delivery although in some cases they will be delivered substantially more quickly.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Now, whenver you plug in your USB drive, type "mount /usb" and BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT type "umount /usb" - failing to do the umount MIGHT corrupt anything you've recently saved to it, as the umount command flushes out the buffers, making sure everything is written so that it can be removed safely.

Okay, I did everything you said and it worked perfectly. It read my thumb drive and I was able to play my music off of it. Then I opened my terminal and typed without quotes, "unmount /usb" and it just said "bash: unmount: command not found"

And about what we did earlier... I really want to learn how this crap works. What did we do by adding

/dev/sda1 /usb auto defaults,rw,user,noauto 0 0

and typing

sudo chmod 777 /usb
?
It's umount, no "n" in there. I know, it tripped me up the first couple of times too.
Surprised

I'm sorry! I just did the very thing that I can't stand in help requests...

/me feels stupid and is embarrassed

Anyway, I typed "umount /usb" and it said

umount: /dev/sda1: not mounted
umount: /usb: must be superuser to umount

Does that mean it's ready to remove, or do I need to become a superuser first?
Try sudo umount /usb and see what happens.
Well, it didn't say anything. It just went to the next line. The light on my drive never went out. I took it out, anyway.

And I thought sudo meant root? Isn't that different from a superuser? Or am I wrong about sudo meaning root?
Sudo overrides some of the permission problems without actually logging in as root. Since it didn't echo anything back, it suceeded.
ok, if it went to the next line, it should be good (if you are not sure, go to where the drive was mounted and "dir".

For being root in terminal, there is su and sudo. su will give you root access comand after command, but requires a pass.

Code:
:su
pass: <your pass>
:

From that point on, you are root.

Sudo is root for only one operation, no pass needed in most cases.

btw, Superuser is root.
Exactly. It's better to sudo than su though, because once su'ed you might accidentally do something bad to the compy, or so the reasoning goes.
I would say only if you are doing one command, otherwise, you might be better off as root for multiple commands.
rivereye wrote:
I would say only if you are doing one command, otherwise, you might be better off as root for multiple commands.
Sure, that sounds like a good rule of thumb. It's ok if the USB drive's light stays on, btw, on some models that just means it's still receiving power.
It also depends on your skill. A noob like me is likely to fry something with that kind of power Just Joking
Chipmaster wrote:
It also depends on your skill. A noob like me is likely to fry something with that kind of power Just Joking
You? A knublet? Don't make me laugh. Wink
I'm still not very experienced with linux, my friend. I'm working on improving, but I could still screw things up accidentally.
rivereye wrote:
ok, if it went to the next line, it should be good (if you are not sure, go to where the drive was mounted and "dir".

For being root in terminal, there is su and sudo. su will give you root access comand after command, but requires a pass.

Code:
:su
pass: <your pass>
:

From that point on, you are root.

Sudo is root for only one operation, no pass needed in most cases.

btw, Superuser is root.

Actually, he doesn't need to go through the su enter-password thing. I found this trick out recently, just doing "sudo su" will work Wink

Oh, and superuser *technically* isn't root, but its so close in most cases it doesn't matter, and the two terms are used interchangeably just fine

@Foamy: I'll tell you how this works:

Code:

/dev/sda1 refers to the first SCSI drive on partition 1. As far as linux knows, your USB drive is a plain ol' SCSI drive, and there is no reason to tell it otherwise Wink the /usb part tells the "mount" command where to actually mount the drive at. the auto part tells it to guess what filesystem it is using (as it is removeable, the filesystem could change from drive to drive). The defaults,rw,user,noauto are all mount options. Defaults is just that, the defaults. The rw overrides the default and tells mount that the device is read/write (compared a CD, which is just ro - read only). The user says that a regular user (aka, you) can mount it without needing to become root. and the noauot means that it shouldn't try to mount it on boot (the 0 0 means it shouldn't do a scandisk type thing when you mount it)
Kllrnohj wrote:
@Foamy: I'll tell you how this works:

Code:

/dev/sda1 refers to the first SCSI drive on partition 1. As far as linux knows, your USB drive is a plain ol' SCSI drive, and there is no reason to tell it otherwise Wink the /usb part tells the "mount" command where to actually mount the drive at. the auto part tells it to guess what filesystem it is using (as it is removeable, the filesystem could change from drive to drive). The defaults,rw,user,noauto are all mount options. Defaults is just that, the defaults. The rw overrides the default and tells mount that the device is read/write (compared a CD, which is just ro - read only). The user says that a regular user (aka, you) can mount it without needing to become root. and the noauot means that it shouldn't try to mount it on boot (the 0 0 means it shouldn't do a scandisk type thing when you mount it)

Okay. I think I understand this.

What would happen if I inserted 2 drives at the same time? Would I have to add...?

Code:
/dev/sda2 /usb2 auto defaults,rw,user,noauto 0 0

//-This next part is all hypothetical. I have no plans to actually do this. I just want to know for knowledge reasons.

Now, if I changed the noauto at the end to auto, and left the device permanently in my computer, would it be already mounted when I turned on my comp?
foamy3 wrote:
Okay. I think I understand this.

What would happen if I inserted 2 drives at the same time? Would I have to add...?

Code:
/dev/sda2 /usb2 auto defaults,rw,user,noauto 0 0

Nope. The 1 on the end refers to what PARTITION. It is the a that determines the drive, so it would be /dev/sdb1

Quote:
//-This next part is all hypothetical. I have no plans to actually do this. I just want to know for knowledge reasons.

Now, if I changed the noauto at the end to auto, and left the device permanently in my computer, would it be already mounted when I turned on my comp?

Yup, exactly Smile

Oh, and I forgot to mention this before, but when you mount it, don't do "sudo mount /usb", just do "mount /usb". If you mount it as root/superuser, then only the root/superuser can unmount it.

Here is another problem you might run into in the future. If you forget to unmount it before you unplug the USB drive, and then insert another (or the same) USB drive (still without having unmounted /usb), when you try to mount it you will get wierd /dev/sda1 doesn't exist errors. This is because it will now be on /dev/sdb1, as linux will still think /dev/sda1 is in use. The simplest way to fix it is to "umount /usb", unplug the usb drive, plug it back in, then "mount /dev/usb"
Ohhhh. Alright. Thank you. I really appreciate your explanations.
Excellent, that actually cleared up a few things for me regarding the naming scheme of /dev/ items. Cool.
My linux computer has a 4gb harddrive, but only 2gb is partioned. If I wanted to make the other 2gb useable, I would partion it, then add...?

Code:
/dev/hda2 /otherpartion auto defaults,rw,user,auto 0 0

Or because it is always the same type, would I change the first auto?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours