A couple days ago I did a frugal install of DSL(a Small Linux). I got it working correctly, but then realized how much of a n00b I am... I used a program Xmms to play a cd. I went to file:/cdrom and found all of my music to play from within Xmms. Next I opened up an internet browser and went to file:/cdrom and all I found was KNOPPIX/,boot/, and lost+found/. Where are my songs?

And second, where can I save documents? I opened up a program called "Beaver" and tryed to save something, but didn't know where. I tryed to save it in usr/doc but it just closed the save box every time I tryed to save.
Try to save in /home/username. For the music, perhaps /dev/cdrom?
KermMartian wrote:
Try to save in /home/username. For the music, perhaps /dev/cdrom?

I can't create a directory in /home. It says "Permission denied"

It also says "Permission denied" when I try to view /dev/cdrom through emelFM.
there should be a folder in /home to match your username. How many CDROM drives do you have on your comp?
rivereye wrote:
there should be a folder in /home to match your username. How many CDROM drives do you have on your comp?
re: the username folder: that's what I meant as well. Try logging in as root if you can...
The only thing in /home/ is /dsl and /knoppix

edit: BTW, I never set up usernames. Do I need to?
are you using a live CD or a HD install (as like you would install Windows)?
Frugal install.
Frugal Install?
I'm not exactly sure what it is. I deleted my windows partion and created a linux one. Supposedly a frugal install simulates a live cd, but actually runs off of the harddrive. So... it's a live cd without a cd...
ok, that explains why there is no user account in /home. If I were you, and doing that, I would get a true install distro (heck, Knoppix has that option built in now)
Okay, I'll try that. Thank you.

EDIT:

I've never done a full hd linux install before. How should I set up my partion table? Will 1 bootable linux partion work? Should the partion take up the entire drive?
Sorry about the double post.

I did a full debian-type hd install. With this, the home/dsl/ save works perfectly. I'm still having cd problems, though. If I open Xmms and choose to open a file I can find an audio cd's .cda files in home/cdrom but when I put in an mp3 cd I can't find my files anywhere. Also, using xmms is the only way to find the audio cd's .cda files. I can't do it through emelFM or a webbrowser. It just says that home/cdrom is empty.
*/dev/cdrom, my friend. And you should get mplayer or equivalent for your MP3s.
to view a CD as you would in windows you must MOUNT it.

I'll give you instrtuctions on how after you paste the contents of this file, /etc/fstab, here. It is just a plain text document (you should just be able to double click it in your file browser)

As for where to save your files, one of the only places you have write access to is your home directory (which can be abbreviated to "~" - so for example your desktop would be "~/Desktop"), and that is where you save all your files. Think of it as your "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]", but in linux

@Kerm: never, EVER tell a n00b to run as root. No one should ever run as root as it is, much less someone who has no idea whats going on

@Kerm (again): mplayer is more for videos than for music. XMMS is the right choice for a music player - but he needs to mount the cdrom before most apps can read from it, /dev/cdrom won't work
Well, obviously you need to mount /dev/cdrom /mount/cdrom or equivalent...
KermMartian wrote:
Well, obviously you need to mount /dev/cdrom /mount/cdrom or equivalent...

obvoius to us, but obviously not obvious to him Wink (which is why I want the fstab file, DSL *might* have already set up mount points, which would save lots of time...)
Ah, I actually wouldn't be surprised if it had. Let's have a look at that file then.
/etc/fstab

Code:

/dev/hda1/ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
#partions found by dsl
# /dev/hda1/mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0

hda1 is the partion I installed on. I have no clue what the rest of that means...
There we go, it's mounted to /cdrom, not /mnt/cdrom or /media/cdrom.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours