50%  [ 4 ]
It sounds okay
 12%  [ 1 ]
It sounds bad
 0%  [ 0 ]
It sounds horrible
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Sorry about not being online since like Halloween. I've been dealing with a lot of crazy things (child abuse and coming out). Sad

Anyways, the idea for that game I was making back in October/November has basically been thrown in the trash.

Instead, somebody came up to me and gave me a challenge.
They want me to make a game like Pokemon.

So, coming soon, I'm releasing a text-based Pokemon-like RPG game for the colored TI-84 calculators. It's gonna be huge. It's gonna have:
- A "Pokedex" System
- A huge world map
- A rival that acts like a complete jerk but is a likeable friend at the same time (like in all Pokemon games)
- A "PC Box" Storage System
- And much much more

By the way, there are currently five different elements for the "Pokemon" (fire, water, wind, earth, and electric) and there is a starter for each of them.

What do you guys think of this? I'll probably have a demo of it posted online by April 20th the latest. I really wanna know what you guys think of this and what you all want to see in this game.
Sounds ambitious. What language are you planning to use? If hybrid BASIC, organization of such a large program will probably be more difficult than any actual coding. I have another concern: there have been many hybrid BASIC text-based games. Perhaps you could add small graphical elements while still keeping it text-based, to differentiate this project from the others.

As for your personal situation, I sympathize and hope things get better.
I'm using TI-BASIC with the Doors CSE colored text. I'm not sure how to create the graphics.

And for the personal situation, please don't worry about me. Things are getting better. They were just crazy before.
Doors CSE lets you draw actual sprites. See the Doors CSE wiki for more info. What you need to use are the xLIBC/xLIBCE libraries.

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries_%28Color%29

Of course, keep in mind that sprite data is much larger.
Good luck with this very ambitious project! Doing it on the homescreen using the Doors CSE color text functionality sounds like a good choice, although using xLIBC[E] would also make a very good-looking game, with the tradeoffs that DJ_Omnimaga mentioned. Perhaps it would be best to start with a text-based game, as you are, then transition to xLIBC[E] graphics if and when you feel that's right for you?
How do the xLIBC/xLIBCE graphics work?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours