I built this particular gem for mounting on the back of my dataglove to allow mouse capabilities by simply tilting my hand.

Parts List
(1) Small plastic case, about 1" x 1.5" x 3/8"
(1) Hex nut or small, dense ball bearing
(1) 5-pin IDC header
(-) Misc solid-core 22-guage wire
(-) strip of thin, cuttable metal, about 1/4" wide x 6"
(-) Rosin core solder
(1) Variable heat soldering iron
(-) Hot glue
(1) Hot glue gun
(optional) Electrical tape
(-) Wire strippers

Procedure
1. Cut out any plastic posts inside the box.
2. Using .75" long pieces of the metal strip, make an approximate square of metal. Cement the pieces to the middle of the box, solder the edges together, then solder a wire to the edge of the square.
3. Add solder or sand the square to be as smooth as possible.
4. Cut four pieces of the metal strip, one for each side of the square. Solder four wires, one onto each strip.
5. Use hot glue to attach the strips perpendicular to the base of the enclosure, about 1/8" from each edge of the square.
6. Place the nut inside, then hotglue a plastic piece above the vertical metal strips.
7. Run wires to the outside of the box for further connection, or drill holes and put an IDC header sticking out of the enclosure.
8. Test contacts, then glue or reattach the cover

Pictures
sounds cool, hope to see a procedure soon, and can the dataglove be plugged in to a calc
gscm wrote:
sounds cool, hope to see a procedure soon, and can the dataglove be plugged in to a calc
Not without extra hardware. I have gotten it working with my computer though: tilting it makes the mouse move! I'll post up the procedure as soon as I finish studying for my final tomorrow.
this is cool. How will the glove work, bluetooth, USB2.0 Cable?
maybe firewire Very Happy
oh that would be fun.

I just thought of something, if it was done right, I could use it in my MCP/MCSE test next year while doing other things. That would be nerdy now.
KermMartian wrote:
gscm wrote:
Not without extra hardware. I have gotten it working with my computer though: tilting it makes the mouse move! I'll post up the procedure as soon as I finish studying for my final tomorrow.

Moving the mouse is one thing, but more important is how do you click, and can it right-click as well? (or is it going to be a "Mac Mouse" Laughing )
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
gscm wrote:

Moving the mouse is one thing, but more important is how do you click, and can it right-click as well? (or is it going to be a "Mac Mouse" Laughing )
Hitting one of the finger combos, yes via another finger combo, and no, respectively. It's going to be wireless via the innards of a wireless USB keyboard.
Can you imaging trying to type and move your hand well with a cord attacked to them both? I am just glad that it is wireless Cool .
i agree i like the wireless part though i hope to see a way to get the same innerds cheeply
I estimate a complete one will cost less than $20 to build.
[bump] Added a procedure.
Anyway you can get us some cleaner photos? Those are all very fuzzy... Hard to make out anything on it.
tifreak8x wrote:
Anyway you can get us some cleaner photos? Those are all very fuzzy... Hard to make out anything on it.
Yeah, I know ... I'm going to try to find a camera taking pix at better than 320x240 or 640x480. Very Happy
I could see pretty well from the skype webcam. lol, should have taken a screenshot.
elfprince13 wrote:
I could see pretty well from the skype webcam. lol, should have taken a screenshot.
Heh, good call. I'll do that later once I get the glove completed more.
sweet.
I think I either need a slightly bigger bearing or more padding on the sides of that bottom plate...
when do we get the rest of the procedure

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours