My mom is finally letting me upgrade the ram on our Dell Dimension 4600c, but does anyone know what motherboard that uses? I want to make sure it supports 2 gb of ram (A tech is coming later to replace the fan, but i am not sure he will know, and i almost have to order it today because the 50$ rebate ends today). This is the ram that I am considering :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145491

It is the same type of ram (ddr sdram) as our curren ram, i just need to know whether the motherboard supports that much Neutral . I can't seem to find the info anywhere, but i will search some more.

P.S. Kerm, Firefox really hates posting on your site, I am not sure why, I have to do it all in EE...

Edit: I did some searching for reviews and specs (took a while, but I found it!) apparently the max supported ram is 2 gb, wow, I am lucky Wink . Everything seems to fit, does anyone see anything wrong that would'nt work on a dell?
If you know how to upgrade your RAM, then why are you having a tech replace your fan? Razz
It supports up to 2 1-gb sticks.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
If you know how to upgrade your RAM, then why are you having a tech replace your fan? Razz

That is a very good question. Maybe parents didn't trust him.
rivereye wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

That is a very good question. Maybe parents didn't trust him.
Yeah... why does that seem strange to me?
No, the computer is under warrenty, so the tech came for free with the fan to install it Razz . I think they have to install it so you cannot lie and say it doesn't work just so you can get an extra part, he takes the 'broken' part with him.

P.S. We ordered the 2 gb of ram!
Isn't RAM easier to replace than a fan? I've never replaced a fan, but all you have to do with RAM is pop the out stuff out, insert the new stick and close the side latches. I'd imagine with the fan you'd have to mess with the power supply, wouldn't you?
foamy3 wrote:
Isn't RAM easier to replace than a fan? I've never replaced a fan, but all you have to do with RAM is pop the out stuff out, insert the new stick and close the side latches. I'd imagine with the fan you'd have to mess with the power supply, wouldn't you?
Negatory. That, too, is popping a connector, a wire, reconnecting a wire, and relatching the connector around the heatsink. Either that, or unscrew/rescrew, depending on the model.
Nope, i watched him install it, and he just unscrewed and took it out, and then put it back in, it was the exact model since it was from a warrenty. Also, ram is REALLY easy to replace, take off the clips, and push it in Wink (probably do have to do something with the heat sink on the ram though...) .
only really need RAM heatsinks when overclocking.
Or otherwise abusing your ram Razz
rivereye wrote:
Actually, a good deal of modern ram comes with a slim heatsink on it.
This XMS ram comes with a heatsink, so i bet it is just a slim heatsink. I looked at the Corsair site and the heatsink was 'platinum' (I doubt its really platinum, a bullion of platinum costs more than gold, maybe its just the color) .
Platinum is used as a catalyst in car exhaust mufflers; what they do is coat steal or iron with platinum, and it works just as well. They probably do the same thing for that "platinum" heatsink.
Odd, because silver conducts heat better than platinum...
Anyways, the ram is shipping. I read the rebate, and even though on the site it said valid through 6/7/06, on the sheet (small type at the bottom) it says only valid with purchases between june 8 2006 and june 14 2006... If they do not except the rebate I am going to go kill them (50 dollars!) Evil or Very Mad .
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Odd, because silver conducts heat better than platinum...

'Platinum' is such a cooler name. They make silverware; platinum is just too good for people's mouths.
Heh. Platinumware. I need to get platinumware when I own the world Evil or Very Mad
KermMartian wrote:
rivereye wrote:
Actually, a good deal of modern ram comes with a slim heatsink on it.

*heatSPREADER

no ram actually comes with a heatsink (which have fins, whereas a heatspreader is just a slab of metal), and i've seen tests that show that the heatspreader really only cools the ram another 1C, if that. it does, however, look really freaking cool through a case window Wink
True, but I have actually seen RAM with heatsinks, albeit far more rarely.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours