The maximum you can store in a 16-bit number is 2^16 - 1, or 65535.
Okay.

CalcMax wrote:
The OC doesnt really stop.

CalcMax wrote:
Have code that lets you get 20x faster speed than 15mhz, but only if aaa cells are VERY FRESH!!!

So, it "doesn't really stop" but you also say that it requires some "really fresh" batteries.

You then go on to say this:

Quote:
It just slows down a few tens of mhz, but sometimes recovers when it can pull more juice.

Which again contradicts this.

CalcMax wrote:
Have code that lets you get 20x faster speed than 15mhz, but only if aaa cells are VERY FRESH!!!

So, for starters. 20*15=300Mhz. At the start of this topic you were claiming 40Mhz. Then 75. And then 100Mhz+. Between those two posts, 75Mhz to 100Mhz is 26 minutes. I'll give doubt to an internet stranger who says he's smart but the quickest way to make me not believe you is by doing the infeasible.

The first being that the folks who know this processor with their eyes closed are telling you it's not possible. Let's just continue to work on the assumption they are wrong and you are in fact smarter than them. Which brings me to another issue. If the batteries need to be "really fresh" to achiever 20x over 15Mhz, why would the speed dip down just in the area of a couple 10Mhz? Why doesn't the power last a few minutes before going back down to 100Mhz or something that doesn't require "really fresh" batteries.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, how can batteries magically get more juice while in the calculator? Are these batteries so fresh that they're sending too much electricity into the calculator and after a while the capacitors send that extra electricity back to the batteries and thus they get "more juice?" Or is this another kind of juice?

Quote:
NO MATTER HOW BIZERCK THE COMPLEXITY OF THE FUNCTION IS, THE CALC GRAPHS IT VERY QUICKLY(1.5-2 MINS). THESE FUNCS WOULD PROBABLY TAKE 40 MINS WITHOUT OC. I have had some on 15 mhz take 15min and they were much simpler. Alot of stuff has maxed out now. I have tried icreasing further, but HAD to revert due to the sierpinski triangle prog loosing presision on the extreme.

Again. You don't share these equations so let's just do the Sierpinski Triangle, here's the file I'm using from ticalc.org. After a minute, I had a rather sparse but recognizable fractal. After 2 minutes it was more or less recognizable by the 94x62 pixel dimensions of the TI-84+SE graph screen. I'm now at the 4.5 minute mark and it looks more or less the same but I'll keep this running while I finish the post Smile

Quote:
I MAY SHARETHE 300MHZ CODE WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT, BUT NOT NOW!!!!!!!

If you really wanted to prove us all wrong and shut us up, you'd share the code. All you're doing is making yourself a fool.

So until you actually prove something, I think we're all done here. Good Idea

BTW: 13 minutes and it's a bit more fleshed out but I wouldn't say it'd take 40 minutes to achieve this..
CPU speed test program
Even if you are going to ignore what other experts have said (and i amnot trying to call myself an expert Razz ), then hear this:
Quote:
For the original NMOS design, the specified upper clock frequency limit increased successively from the introductory 2.5 MHz, via the well known 4 MHz (Z80A), up to 6 (Z80B) and 8 MHz (Z80H). A CMOS version was also developed with specified frequency limits ranging from 4 MHz up to 20 MHz for the version sold today. The CMOS version also allowed a low-power sleep with internal state retained (like the NMOS version, having no lower frequency limit). The fully compatible derivatives HD64180/Z180 and eZ80 are currently specified for up to 33 and 50 MHz respectively.

Basicly, in tl;dr format, the fastest z80 manufactured can only do about 20mhz. The eZ80 can do go fatser, but the ez80 and the z80 are different things. The ez80 is the processer found in the CE while the normal z80 is the processor found in all other ti83/84 calculators.

The quotation is backed by these sources:
[tt]
Popular Computing. McGraw-Hill. 1983. p. 15.
Markoff, John (18 October 1982). "Zilog's speedy Z80 soups up 8-bit to 16-bit perfofrmance". InfoWorld (InfoWorld Media Group). p. 1. ISSN 0199-6649.
Electronic design. Hayden. 1988. p. 142. In addition to supporting the entire Z80 instruction set, the Z180
Ganssle, Jack G. (1992). "The Z80 Lives!". The designers picked an architecture compatible with the Z80, giving Z80 users a completely software compatible upgrade path. The 64180 processor runs every Z80 instruction exactly as a Z80 does
[/tt]
As for the recovery of juice, I no dont think anymore that it is the batteries.
It seems to be the OS trzing to save juice. I have gotten out of slowdowns by rerunning the program.

If the OC isnt really going up super high, then why does everything FEEL 20x faster?
Post a video showing the calculator at maximum performance, next to a clock that shows seconds. Then we might believe you.
CalcMax wrote:
If the OC isnt really going up super high, then why does everything FEEL 20x faster?
Placebo effect?
Since no one believes me, i am now closing this topic OFFICIALLY. And that means NO MORE POSTS until march 2020!!!
I am anyway banned currently by my parents from posting vid clips online.

TOPIC CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CalcMax wrote:
Since no one believes me, i am now closing this topic OFFICIALLY. And that means NO MORE POSTS until march 2020!!!
I am anyway banned currently by my parents from posting vid clips online.

TOPIC CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one believes you because you do something impossible, of which some ASM EXPERTS say that is impossible, and you said it is? Prove yourself and make a video of showing the great differences.
Also, before we get too carried away with this overclocking, do remember the safety hazards presented by running at clock speeds this high.
I believe him.
TOPIC CLOSED!!!
TOPIC OPENED!!!
Ivoah wrote:
TOPIC OPENED!!!

I hereby declare the quoted post above to be a definitive declaration.
Uhm so I have a few things to mention...
CalcMax wrote:
NO MORE POSTS until march 2020!!!

Is this some Jeane Dixon reference?

CalcMax wrote:
TOPIC CLOSED!!!

why?

comicIDIOT wrote:
Ivoah wrote:
TOPIC OPENED!!!

I hereby declare the quoted post above to be a definitive declaration.

Is this the official Cemetech seal? Razz On a more serious note, I think it is important to keep this topic open for discussion, members can't just block out any opinion that differs from their own, that would be counterproductive.
As for the topic of this thread, a processor has a limit, the ti-84 runs on a Z80 processor. This processor was around in the late 70s. 'nuff said.
The calculator's flash chip is limited to about 15 megareads/s (70 ns read cycle time; note that the Z80 doesn't do a read on every cycle, however). The fact that most calculators can run at 20 MHz without needing wait states is actually kind of lucky, because 20 MHz puts the chips a little outside their spec'd performance limit. Even if you could overclock the ASIC to 100 MHz, the best flash chips would still never handle more than 25-30 MHz.

Incidentally, I'd bet $100 that the CE's ASIC operates the flash chip in 8-bit mode, not 16-bit mode. In the latter mode, the ASIC could at least cache the other byte returned in case it happened to be the next requested. That would give a significant performance boost, since the OS code runs from flash and code has significant locality-of-reference. OR, that TI implemented exactly that, but their cache sucks, and actually ends up adding more wait states than it saves.
I want this topic closed now!! I will personally have the cemetech's owner DELETE this topic if anyone dares post here!!

P.S. The OC is at unknow but very fast frequency. It got faster when i put nimh aaa cells!
P.P.S. I will open a new and even more serious but also proper OC topic, since i need to know some more stuff about these speeds i am usin. I AM NOT RUNNING ARBITRARY/RANDOM ASM (tried random stuff and calc crashed!).

FOR NOW: WAIT FOR MY NEW TOPIC!
This topic will remain open, the admins all agree on this. Kerm will not delete the topic, either.

Also, totally dared to post here.
CalcMax wrote:
I want this topic closed now!! I will personally have the cemetech's owner DELETE this topic if anyone dares post here!!

P.S. The OC is at unknow but very fast frequency. It got faster when i put nimh aaa cells!
P.P.S. I will open a new and even more serious but also proper OC topic, since i need to know some more stuff about these speeds i am usin. I AM NOT RUNNING ARBITRARY/RANDOM ASM (tried random stuff and calc crashed!).

FOR NOW: WAIT FOR MY NEW TOPIC!
Good job on bumping your own topic.
Hitechcomputergeek wrote:
Good job on bumping your own topic.

Indeed. If you stop replying to this topic we will too Smile It's the best shot you have at getting this topic to go away. The owner of Cemetech even told me himself. I even contacted our host provider and they said they don't take action on these types of matters... so it sounds like they side with not deleting this topic either. Good Idea

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours