EDIT: The contest is now over! Playable link at https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/91337413/ . Vote for your favorite program at https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1017

Original message:
Quote:
In case you haven't heard, over on CodeWalrus, the CodeWalrus contest is underway, so since I'm one of only 5 people that have announced entries, and one of 3 of those people with screenshots/gameplay videos, I have decided to post my progress (and eventual finished game) here, as well as CodeWalrus.

The rules, in a nutshell, are that you must make a game, on any platform, but it has to 1. be themed around , and 2. use at least one of the many Walrii sprites on the website:

I am designing my game for the Scratch platform. For those that don't know, Scratch is an online Flash-based programming tool where you can program interactive stories, games, and animations, and share them online for anyone to see. The source code, which uses literal stacked "blocks" inside each asset to program it, is viewable and changeable to anyone who can see the project.

My game (which I have not given a name yet) is a Flappy-Bird-esque endless flier, where you star as , and you're trying to eat as much as possible, all the while avoiding all the . As well, may randomly appear, and when you eat those, you become and are invincible for a little while.

My latest screenshot of progress:

There is no source code or playable demo yet, as I haven't shared it yet (is it viewable on my profile page? Please tell me, if it's viewable then I'm disqualified Sad ).
As far as I can tell, it's not visible on your profile page, so no worries there. Smile It looks like you're making quite a fun game here, my qualms about the walrus theme notwithstanding, and I'm impressed that you seem to have designed it in such a way that it will be easy to port to all of our favorite calculators. I'm having trouble distinguishing between the normal and powered-up player sprite; is the difference the wing pattern? I might recommend making that more obvious, if possible. Good luck with the project, the porting, and coming up with a name!
KermMartian wrote:
As far as I can tell, it's not visible on your profile page, so no worries there. Smile It looks like you're making quite a fun game here, my qualms about the walrus theme notwithstanding, and I'm impressed that you seem to have designed it in such a way that it will be easy to port to all of our favorite calculators. I'm having trouble distinguishing between the normal and powered-up player sprite; is the difference the wing pattern? I might recommend making that more obvious, if possible. Good luck with the project, the porting, and coming up with a name!

Ah, good. And thanks for the compliments. The difference between the normal and powered-up sprites is the fact that the normal sprite is 16x16 (I made custom wings for this one), and the powered-up sprite is 24x24. Both are from the spritesheet of allowed walrus sprites, so that ensures I'm fine in that department. As for the name, perhaps it should be something like "Wal-Rush" or "Fly, Walrii, Fly!", or something simple like that.

Also, funny you should say that about the calculator, this Scratch game was actually based off of a demo that I had made for the calculator specifically for the contest, but has since been indefinitely on hold:
JWinslow23 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Ah, good. And thanks for the compliments. The difference between the normal and powered-up sprites is the fact that the normal sprite is 16x16 (I made custom wings for this one), and the powered-up sprite is 24x24. Both are from the spritesheet of allowed walrus sprites, so that ensures I'm fine in that department. As for the name, perhaps it should be something like "Wal-Rush" or "Fly, Walrii, Fly!", or something simple like that.

Also, funny you should say that about the calculator, this Scratch game was actually based off of a demo that I had made for the calculator specifically for the contest, but has since been indefinitely on hold:

Just because I'm curious here, is the idea that everyone has the spritesheet on their platform and can then run any game written for their platform that was coded for codewalrus? Which would be exceptionally cool! Having a whole bunch of games all walrus related all using one big spritesheet allowing people to use the same sprites in a bunch of different programs without having to have an individual file for each game... Or do people just use some of the sprites on the spritesheet and create their own file for their own game when entering in the contest?
mr womp womp wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Just because I'm curious here, is the idea that everyone has the spritesheet on their platform and can then run any game written for their platform that was coded for codewalrus? Which would be exceptionally cool! Having a whole bunch of games all walrus related all using one big spritesheet allowing people to use the same sprites in a bunch of different programs without having to have an individual file for each game... Or do people just use some of the sprites on the spritesheet and create their own file for their own game when entering in the contest?

That spritesheet simply holds the graphics for all of the walrii allowed in the game, at least one of which must be in the game. For example, in mine, there are two (the 16x16 walrus, but with custom wings added to it, and the 24x24 flying walrus). Other than the constraint with having at least one of those walrus graphics present, the rules are the same as any programming contest: program your file for your platform from scratch (no pun intended), and submit it by the deadline.
Bump.

Less than two weeks before the contest deadline! Anyone wishing to enter, start making games now! Better sooner than later!

As well, I am adding some finishing touches to my game in the coming weeks. Here is the current state of my game:

Looks nice Smile How's the Axe version coming along?
Ivoah wrote:
Looks nice Smile How's the Axe version coming along?

Not at all. Razz In my opinion, it's too slow. And what with what I've added to the Scratch version, I'm not sure I could make it fast enough without requiring a TI-84+SE to play at a decent speed Razz .
Bump.

Well, it's only 3 days before the end of the contest, and I decided to clean up my game as it is now.

The new title:
Wal-Rush!

This, barring any unforeseen glitches that will hopefully be patched before the judges start to play them, is what the final product will look like. (highscore loading and saving has been cut down considerably, it's still very slow. like, really.)

Also, due to the way projects are shared on Scratch, I will make this open for anyone to play for a while before the deadline. I cannot make this playable for the judges without making it also playable for anybody else on the internet (that can find it, anyways Razz ). So what this means is, for up to a few minutes before the deadline, if you're watchful enough, you can start to play before the deadline actually comes. Think of it as my little obligatory treat to you, the player Very Happy

Keep an eye out on my Scratch profile for the game! Wink
Bump.
The contest is over! Click here to play the game online! And head over to this thread to vote on your favorite entries!
Nice! How does Scratch handle the TI-style font for the score?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours