When I turned my calculator on today, I was greeted with a completely screwn up screen. It showed some stuff that it shpuld show as far as I can see it but there is a lot of random pixels and lines above it.

I tried
  • Turning off and on - no result at all
  • RAM, Defaults and All Archive resets - lost everything I had on the calculator, I saw the bottom part of the MEM reset screen (the upper part was screwn up)
  • Pulling out the batteries, pulling out the batteries and holding [del] - no results at all

It seems to work well except that the screen is screwn up and sometimes it RAM resets (or at least displays some parts of the screen).
I was able to create a program ABCD, see it in the mem menu and also edit it.
However, as I said, there is rubbish on the screen (Imagine you display a random buffer in Axe and display some stuff here and there which makes sense, it will look the same).

Edit:
The weirdest thing is I didn't play around with assembly. I have DCS 7.2 installed on TI-OS 1.19, if that helps.

What can I do? I have no computer here, though, and I will only come back home in a few days.

Oh, and I wish you all a happy new year! Smile
It sounds like your calculator may be succumbing to ribbon cable failure. Does the screen look like some of the garbled examples in our LCD repair thread? It's unusual for it to happen suddenly, but since your OS version indicates that it's a TI-83+, it is a prime candidate for such a problem.
Thank you very much, Kerm, I think that was the issue. Interestingly, my calculator started working properly soon after you replied by itself, while I was just doing random stuff with it.

I'll need to restore my last backup and see, but I still think this was a clear sign that it won't last for long anymore and I will have to look for another calculator or repair this one.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours